Chapter 21 : Memory

Home.

What does the term "home" really signify?

Is it a sanctuary for unwinding?

A tangible space filled with windows, rooms, and furnishings?

Do you find solace in the notion of home?

For many, the idea of "home" is not universally understood. Some individuals cherish their homes for the loving family environment they foster, while others feel isolated due to fractured relationships. The term 'home' carries distinct meanings for different people.

For some, 'home' is simply a house—a place where family members gather, share laughter, watch movies, and celebrate occasions like Christmas and birthdays. It's a structure where both joyful and painful memories are created with loved ones, serving as a backdrop for shared meals, weekend adventures, and holiday preparations.

However, 'home' can also symbolize a person. Someone who brings warmth into your life, who stands by you despite your flaws. This individual may be your source of comfort and affection, the one who makes you feel valued and secure. They are a precious gift, a beautiful presence meant to enrich your life with love and companionship. Even if they are no longer physically present, their memory remains a cherished part of your heart.

For Taehyun, that person is Choi Beomgyu. As they walk together, fingers intertwined, Taehyun savors the older boy's company. He feels a sense of belonging and warmth. Unlike before, when he walked alongside Soobin and Hueningkai and felt like an outsider, now he has someone who brings him genuine joy—someone who reflects the bond between Soobin and Hueningkai.

The school day has ended, and the two are leaving campus. As they pass their dorm, Taehyun glances at Beomgyu with curiosity. The raven-haired vampire smiles softly, playfully tousling Taehyun's silver hair.

"Where are we going?" Taehyun asks.

"To the beach," Beomgyu replies.

Taehyun furrows his brows in confusion.

"I'm taking you out on a date to the beach, sunshine," Beomgyu says with a playful smile.

Taehyun's cheeks flush as he shyly squeezes Beomgyu's hand. Beomgyu chuckles softly. "You're just too cute, sunshine."

"Stop it," Taehyun laughs, his happiness evident.

The couple arrives at the bus stop and waits for their ride. The place is empty, and when Taehyun checks his watch, he pouts.

"It's 2:35 PM. The next bus isn't coming until 5:00 PM."

Beomgyu nods, acknowledging the long wait ahead.

As time drags on, boredom starts to creep in. Beomgyu distracts himself with games on his phone, while Taehyun anxiously taps his foot and checks his watch over and over.

At 4:43 PM, Taehyun's frustration boils over. He stands up and stomps his feet. Beomgyu, startled, fumbles with his phone as his game comes to an end.

"What's wrong, sunshine?" Beomgyu asks, noticing Taehyun's sulky expression.

"Waiting isn't my strong suit, and we've been here forever," Taehyun replies, still visibly annoyed.

Beomgyu, feeling the same restlessness, shrugs in understanding.

Taehyun crouches down, absentmindedly stirring the pebbles with his fingers while resting his chin on his arm wrapped around his knees. Beomgyu's gaze softens as he finds Taehyun's small, delicate figure utterly captivating.

Wanting to capture the moment, Beomgyu pulls out his phone and snaps a photo. The flash startles Taehyun, who looks at Beomgyu with a puzzled smile as he approaches.

"You could have asked me for a picture first," Taehyun says playfully.

Beomgyu, feeling a bit sheepish, rubs the back of his neck. "Can I see it?"

Beomgyu shakes his head. Taehyun, pouting, tries to grab the phone, but Beomgyu holds it just out of reach, teasing him.

"I want to see!" Taehyun exclaims, jumping to snatch the phone.

"Nope," Beomgyu replies with a playful grin.

"Beomgyu hyungggg," Taehyun whines, stamping his feet in frustration before giving up. Beomgyu laughs, finding Taehyun's playful sulking utterly charming. He pulls Taehyun into a warm embrace, enjoying the younger one's playful resistance.

"I hate you," Taehyun mutters, turning away.

Beomgyu chuckles, wrapping his arms around Taehyun's waist. Taehyun flinches but doesn't pull away. Beomgyu kisses Taehyun's jaw, chin, cheek, and finally, his lips.

"No, you don't. You love me," Beomgyu says, releasing Taehyun, who immediately misses the warmth.

"No, I don't," Taehyun retorts, but Beomgyu laughs heartily.

At that moment, the bus arrives, and the two of them eagerly board, heading toward their destination. They reach the beach just as the sun starts to sink beneath the horizon. Beomgyu takes Taehyun's hand, leading him to the water's edge. The sky is painted with vibrant shades of pink and orange, reflecting beautifully in the vast blue sea.

Taehyun's eyes widen in awe as the colors of the sunset dance across his face. Beomgyu, delighted by how the day has turned out, watches him with a warm smile.

"It's stunning," Taehyun whispers, captivated by the view.

Beomgyu's gaze is fixed on Taehyun, admiring how the sunset highlights his features. The soft light perfectly frames Taehyun's rosy lips, bright eyes, defined jawline, and delicate nose.

"Yes, it truly is beautiful," Beomgyu responds, his eyes sparkling.

Taehyun turns to him, noticing the unwavering smile on Beomgyu's face as he glances at their intertwined hands.

"Taehyun," Beomgyu calls gently.

Taehyun hums in response, locking eyes with Beomgyu.

"The sunset is beautiful, but, my sunshine is merrier."