Chapter 24 : Under the rain and thousands of stars

In a heartbeat, Yeonjun's world shattered as he felt the intense resistance of Beomgyu's flesh giving way beneath his nails. The weight of his actions crashed over him like a tidal wave, sweeping away the initial surge of adrenaline and resolve, leaving only a gut-wrenching horror in its wake.

His eyes widened in disbelief as he took in the deep gash on Beomgyu's abdomen, the pained gasp of his brother cutting through the night like a knife. For a brief moment, everything around him blurred into a chaotic haze of pain and confusion. The rain fell steadily, mingling with the blood that seeped from the wound, creating a grotesque scene on the sand. Yeonjun's heart raced, a relentless drumbeat of guilt and panic echoing in his chest.

Beomgyu's expression—confusion and silent suffering—seared itself into Yeonjun's memory. A suffocating sense of betrayal and self-loathing enveloped him. How could he have let this happen? His brother's agony was a direct consequence of his actions, and the weight of that truth pressed down on him like an iron vise.

The sight of Beomgyu's anguished face, his eyes wide with pain and bewilderment, cut through Yeonjun's resolve like a sharp blade. Each heartbeat felt like a heavy blow to his chest, a painful reminder of the gravity of his mistake. The cold rain against his skin did nothing to dull the searing shame and anguish that coursed through him.

"BEOMGYU HYUNG!!" Taehyun's terrified scream shattered the silence.

Beomgyu stood frozen, engulfed in confusion. Should he feel betrayed? His instincts had driven him to push Taehyun out of harm's way, honoring the promise he had made to protect him. Yet now, it was Beomgyu who found himself on the brink of death.

With a shaky breath, Beomgyu slowly lifted his gaze to meet Yeonjun's. Both brothers were in shock. Yeonjun had approached the mysterious figure with the intention of confronting it, never anticipating the tragic outcome of his actions. This was never what he had wanted.

"Hyung..." Beomgyu's voice was barely a whisper, but Yeonjun could just make it out. The silent plea was clear in the movement of his lips. Tears streamed down Yeonjun's face as he struggled with the overwhelming weight of guilt and disappointment in himself.

Beomgyu reached out to touch Yeonjun's hand, still embedded in his abdomen, and gently pulled it away. The rain continued to pour, mingling with the blood and turning the sand into a grotesque mixture. As Beomgyu's strength faded, he sank to his knees, clutching his wound. Blood flowed from the gash, his complexion growing increasingly pale. Yeonjun held his younger brother in his trembling arms, his voice breaking as he repeated, "No. No, Beomgyu. No, no, no, no, no."

Yeonjun wrapped one arm around Beomgyu's neck, using his other bloodied hand to tenderly caress Beomgyu's tear-streaked face. The sight of his brother in pain felt like the ground was crumbling beneath him. He had inflicted this suffering on the one person he held dear above all others.

"YOU MONSTER!!" Taehyun's voice shook with rage as he yanked Yeonjun by the collar, his fury unmistakable. "DO YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU'VE DONE?!"

Yeonjun hung his head, his heart heavy with guilt. He could feel the weight of Taehyun's anger, and it cut him deeply. "EVEN IF YOU HATED HIM, WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT—"

"I LOVE MY LITTLE BROTHER, OKAY?!" Yeonjun retorted, his voice raw with emotion. "I DIDN'T ATTACK HIM ON PURPOSE!!"

Taehyun's breath caught in his throat, his grip on Yeonjun's collar loosening. "How can I believe you aren't lying?"

"Yeonjun hyung is telling the truth, sunshine," Beomgyu's weak voice interjected. Taehyun released Yeonjun, his anger giving way to concern.

Beomgyu reached out with his bloodied hand, a faint smile appearing on his lips despite the pain. Taehyun rushed to Beomgyu's side, kneeling down to embrace him. As he wrapped his arms around Beomgyu's neck, tears streamed down his face. Beomgyu let out a soft chuckle, gently running his fingers through Taehyun's silver hair.

Yeonjun's tears mingled with the rain, each drop a silent testament to his remorse. His usual skepticism and emotional detachment were washed away by the storm of his brother's suffering. In that moment, all he could think about was how to make things right, even though the path to redemption seemed as daunting and treacherous as the mysterious figure that had led him into this painful mistake.

"I'll be okay, sunshine," Beomgyu reassured him.

Taehyun, however, remained skeptical. Seeing Beomgyu so exposed and injured was deeply unsettling, even if vampires had the power to heal.

"You could have just let it go," Taehyun said, frustration evident in his voice.

Beomgyu pulled back from their embrace, locking eyes with Taehyun, whose cheeks were stained with tears. The rain mingled with his tears, intensifying his distress.

"In a world stripped of hope, you're the one I've been searching for. How could I just walk away?"

"You were almost killed!"

"But I wasn't."

Taehyun sniffled, grasping the weight of Beomgyu's sacrifice. Yeonjun watched the love and tenderness between them, a wave of guilt washing over him as he feared he might have lost his brother for good.

"Let's get you to the hospital—" Taehyun began, but Beomgyu interrupted him.

"Let's just go back to our dorm."

Taehyun's shock was evident. "No."

"Please?" Beomgyu pleaded, his voice weak yet earnest. He wanted to avoid any unnecessary risks. Taehyun hesitated, caught between worry and the sight of Beomgyu's imploring expression and faint smile despite his injuries.

"My wounds will heal on their own."

Seeing Beomgyu's determination, Taehyun finally gave in. Beomgyu gently tucked Taehyun's damp silver hair behind his ear and whispered a soft thank you. As they prepared to leave, Beomgyu turned to Yeonjun.

"Hyung..."

Yeonjun looked up, his eyes filled with sorrow.

"...come with us."