Chapter 27 : Favor

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

Tick tock.

Beomgyu kept glancing at the clock on the front wall of the classroom, his head feeling light and his vision becoming increasingly blurry. His classmates were still hunched over their desks, struggling with the exam sheets.

It was Tuesday, and Mrs. Lee had caught them off guard with a surprise test. Beomgyu had finished his paper thirty minutes ago, and now he was anxiously tapping his feet on the floor, sinking deeper into his seat. The classroom was eerily quiet, interrupted only by the soft hum of the ceiling fans and the sound of pens scratching against paper.

Honestly, Beomgyu wasn’t confident that he had answered any of the questions correctly. He just scribbled down responses as long as they filled the page. He loathed studying—no, he detested it. And today’s test subject? Mathematics.

Beomgyu had a strong aversion to numbers. Sure, he could count, but what practical use did quadratic equations or complex formulas have in everyday life? Who even came up with this subject? In Weolhwa, even vampires had to learn basic math, but that didn’t help him when he stared at the paper earlier, mouth hanging open and completely lost.

With a sigh, he glanced at Mrs. Lee, who was pacing the aisles, checking the students' papers. Beomgyu rested his chin on his hand, letting his thoughts wander.

I need to find Sunoo soon.

But his mind quickly shifted to another person: Taehyun. His cheeks flushed at the memory of the previous night, when he had fallen asleep on Taehyun’s lap while the younger boy gently played with his hair. They had come so close to sharing a kiss.

Beomgyu swallowed hard, recalling how Taehyun had looked beneath him, his full lips softly illuminated by the lamp's glow. He had nearly given in to the urge to kiss him, to leave hickeys on his neck, but he hesitated, concerned that Taehyun might not feel the same. He feared that without Taehyun’s consent, he might push him away forever.

The sharp click of high heels coming to a halt beside his desk pulled him back to reality. Mrs. Lee stood there, scrutinizing his exam sheet.

She frowned, shaking her head as she shot him a disapproving glance before letting out a heavy sigh.

As she walked away, Beomgyu stuck his tongue out at her retreating figure, muttering "Idiot" under his breath.

Oblivious, Mrs. Lee continued her rounds. A few minutes later, the bell rang, and Beomgyu's face lit up with relief. Although his head still throbbed and dizziness lingered, he brushed it off as just a migraine.

"Alright, class, time’s up. You’re dismissed," Mrs. Lee announced.

The classroom buzzed with excitement as students hurried toward the door, and Beomgyu quickly joined the throng. Upon reaching the cafeteria, he spotted Yeonjun, Soobin, and Taehyun at their usual table. Taehyun greeted him with a broad smile, making Beomgyu's heart flutter as he jogged over.

"Hey, BG!" Yeonjun called out, his face brightening.

"What’s up with you?" Beomgyu asked, a bit puzzled.

"I’m YJ, YJ the rapper!" Yeonjun declared, striking a silly pose.

Beomgyu shared amused looks with Soobin and Taehyun, both of whom were chuckling at Yeonjun’s antics.

"Where’s Kai?" Beomgyu inquired, noticing their youngest friend was missing.

"He’s in the teacher’s office," Soobin answered.

"Yo, teacher's office, yo." Taehyun quipped, prompting a wave of laughter from everyone around.

Beomgyu rolled his eyes but couldn't suppress a smile. When Taehyun shifted over and patted the seat next to him, Beomgyu nodded and leaned forward—only to stumble. If Taehyun hadn't caught him, he would have collided with the table.

"Hyung?!" Taehyun exclaimed, worry evident in his voice.

Beomgyu felt a tightness in his chest as he gasped for air, the burning sensation in his throat flaring up again. His body trembled, and he realized he hadn't had any blood in days, having lost a considerable amount the night before.

Yeonjun noticed immediately, his expression turning serious as he exchanged a knowing glance with Taehyun, who seemed unaware of the silent warning.

"Excuse us," Taehyun murmured softly, wrapping Beomgyu's arm around his shoulder as he assisted him out of the cafeteria.

Yeonjun watched them leave with a concerned expression, but Soobin placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder.

"He'll be okay, Yeonjun."

Once they reached the hallway, Taehyun led Beomgyu to the bathroom, guiding him into a stall and locking the door behind them. Beomgyu leaned against the wall, struggling to catch his breath, his throat tight with urgency. Taehyun knelt beside him, worry etched on his face as he observed Beomgyu's distress.

"You can drink my blood," Taehyun offered, his tone calm and soothing.

Beomgyu shook his head, pushing Taehyun's hand away.

"Hyung, please listen to me," Taehyun pleaded, his fingers already loosening his tie and unbuttoning his shirt to expose his neck.

Beomgyu swallowed hard at the sight, desire igniting within him, yet he hesitated.

"I told you to drink," Taehyun pressed, locking his eyes with Beomgyu's.

"I owe you my life. Let me repay that debt."

"Are you... sure?" Beomgyu asked, his voice rough.

Taehyun nodded resolutely. Without another moment's hesitation, Beomgyu pulled him into his lap. His grip tightened around Taehyun’s hand as his fangs grazed the younger boy’s neck, and with a soft apology, he pierced the skin.

"Hyung..." Taehyun gasped, his voice barely a whisper as Beomgyu began to drink. The taste of Taehyun’s blood was intoxicating, and Beomgyu's hunger surged. He found it impossible to stop, even as Taehyun began to tremble in his embrace.

"Beomgyu..." Taehyun whispered, his voice fading as his energy drained. Sensing the gravity of the situation, Beomgyu quickly retracted, his tongue brushing over the bite mark to close it.

"I’m so sorry..." he murmured, guilt heavy in his chest as he pulled Taehyun into a tight embrace. Taehyun, struggling to find his voice, managed a faint laugh.

"I’m okay..."

"I’ll take you to the infirmary," Beomgyu said, lifting Taehyun into his arms. But as he opened the door to leave, his heart sank. There, in the hallway, stood the last person he wanted to see— staring at them with wide eyes.

"Hueningkai..."