Part One

I trekked through the snow, following the miles of footprints that had been left before me. Part of me yearned for warmth, but the remaining part overpowered the need for warmth and urged me to keep trudging through the frozen water. All was silent except for the sound of my boots crunching on the frigid ground. Even though my heart was working hard and I had several layers over my chest, was still but a frozen youth. My hat was tight over my ears, and it certainly itched, but it helped keep them warm. The piece of metal running through them didn't help. My hands were tucked tightly in my pockets, and that was where the they were to stay. I was not willing to lose any fingers to the cold. And I knew that if Cold took my fingers, Death would come too. I went over the story in my head once again.

Cold and Death had always been best friends. Death and Heat were also best friends, but Heat and Cold were the worst of enemies and stayed away from each other at all costs. Every time Heat or Cold took something from a person, Death would gawk at it, wanting something from them, too. If Heat and Cold got too extreme, Death could take the person's soul and keep it in a box until the soul wishes to return to the mortal world. Death and these souls were the best of friends. Every lifespan, the souls would visit Death, who would welcome them with open arms until they were to be reborn. Sometimes, Death would like for certain souls to be special for their visits. Death allowed them to live to great mortal ages in the form of Ocean Quahogs and Bowhead Whales. When these souls were tired of this rebirth process, they were welcomed to the home of Death graciously, and so stayed there for eternity.

The ground was white and frozen, chilling my toes inside my thick socks. I had preparedfor this long and treacherous journey for many months. Almost a year, now. I was walking a lonely road to a place of peace. I was going to see an old friend, but I couldn't quite place their name. I knew I'd know them when I found them. My breath vaporized in front of my eyes, and my mind began wandering. My mind began wandering the countless memories before I decided to go on this journey. My name is Margot Valentine, and this is my story.