Only the Good Die Young

"Ramirez! Ramirez!" 

  Michelle snapped out of her daydream. She glanced up noticing Sergeant Wilson glaring at her.

"Hey sarge, sorry about that, just lost in thought."

"Well maybe you focus a bit more and keep your wet dreams in the books." Wilson sneered.

   It was a breezy late August evening on the outskirts the dreary town of Belle. Ramirez was responding to the ninth homicide this year with extraordinary circumstances. Ramirez had been assigned with Sergeant Wilson to take such abnormal cases as the precinct's new special investigations unit. She knelt down beside the skinless and disemboweled corpse trying to piece together the situation.

"It's strange with his back being blown out as it is. What the hell could've done this? Did you find anything around the scene?"  

    Ramirez rolled the former person over. 

"Though it looks to me that the perp used a large caliber rifle as well with the exit cavity. Why would he shoot the guy then gut him?" 

    Wilson knelt down beside her. His breath reeked of coffee and his third pack of cigarettes.

"You positive? It looks to me like the guy was playing with something he shouldn't have been."

   Wilson stood up and lit a cigarette. He scoffed at Ramirez, acting as though he'd known something she hadn't.

"I mean most animals around here don't just peel the flesh off their pray. Your preliminary said someone stumbled on the scene. Where is the witness at?"

    Wilson shrugged.

"Must've left, we can't detain anyone just because they stumbled on a crime you know."

    Ramirez stood up and scratched her head.

"Tell me Ryan, detective to... former detective. Who do you think did it? What was their motive to mutilate someone like this?" 

"Honestly Michelle, i'd pick them out to be some demented pervert. I mean it's deviant enough to cut the guy up, but to keep going? I haven't seen a case like this since the 30's." Wilson dropped his cigarette on the ground, snubbing it out with his foot.

"So did you catch the perp?"

"Nope, case went cold. Thought the guy was tied to eight cases prior, but found our potential perp got flayed up like your kid here. It's best you don't trouble yourself with it."

   Ramirez walked away thanking the sergeant for his time. After another three hours of taking statements from the locals Ramirez had gotten into her Bel Air heading back to the department to analyze their findings. She got back into her office and began looking over the case file. After countless hours of review, Ramirez had a sudden and brilliant thought. Remembering Wilson's statement about the other cases, she had decided to head down to records and have a visit with her old friend.

"Ohhhh Jaaames! My most favoritest person ever!" Ramirez plopped her elbows onto the counter and cheerfully smiled at the aging man.

"What is it now Michelle? Can't you see i'm busy?" James chuckled in protest.

"I was just wondering if... you have anything regarding a serial from the 30's is all."

   James's face went flush.

"I do... but what exactly do you need it for? It's a career killer around here."

   Ramirez sat up on the window ledge and manically grinned.