Prologue

I rushed through the silent, still halls of Riverview Girl's Grammar for the Gifted and Talented, massaging my temples in frustration. I'm late, again. Ugh. Headmistress Sofia would not be very happy with me, as it's only the first month of the school year and I've already been late to class three times. It wasn't my fault that Rupert, my pet rat, kept escaping from his cage. I mean, I always locked the door to it every night . The little rodent seems to have a mind of it's own. We weren't allowed to attend classes without our familiars, or else we'd score a punishment like cleaning the toilets after hours or having our powers confiscated. As for the consequences of being late, well, that would be much, much worse. I could not bear to imagine the look of disgust on Headmistress Sofia's face. I fear for the things that woman is capable of. I guess you're wondering what exactly is Riverview Girl's Grammar - the place is a school that was founded over 200 years ago by the High Priestess of the time, Rita Kensington. Kensington, along with a few other witches and warlocks of her coven built the school in which to assist all the young, female witches with their powers, as well as teach them everyday skills and lessons, like the 'normal' children, teachers would say. I've never met a normal person before - my mother was a witch and created me through magic, literally. I don't have a father, and technically I'm not even related to my mother. However, upon discovering what she'd created, the current Headmistress banished her from setting foot on the property for as long as she would live. As for me? I was enrolled here as soon as I took my first breath, in hopes that something good would become of me, the elders have told me. I've no idea what my mother looks like, nor her name, or anything that can help me figure out who she was. All I know is that she gave me a purpose on this Earth, and my name. I'm Kahli Saffron, and this is my story.