Kintsugi

Saan nga ba patungo
Nakayapak at nahihiwagaan

He has been fidgeting on his seat the moment we settled on the corner of our favorite fast-food chain store, alluring aroma of the ill-inducing meals wafted through the air. It’s a little funny actually, how we spent months just to perfect that moment. Trips to boutiques were done, dozens of photos of how his hair would be styled up and how he would emphasize his pretty features. 

He glances around the room. Out of all places, the Meeting has to take place in a noisy restaurant. The way he bites his lower lips and hands roll the hem of his white tee as his eyes roam around the room tells how nervous he is. Somewhere in this crowded place, someone has the same countdown like him.

“Goddamnit, I hope we could meet somewhere else but dad said it doesn’t matter because we have the rest of our lives to go to those places. As a matter of fact, he and mom met at the backstage of a concert venue. But I really hoped it would be in a romantic place because that’s what she deserves, right? God, what if she doesn’t like me, what if she-“ he stops rambling, looking at me apologetically. “Sorry. It’s just, you know, important day for me.” Yes, I know. You have been talking about this for the past years. I smile at him.

Two minutes, he whispered. “Breathe. You will be okay, you always are.” I grin to lighten the mood. I entangled my hands under the table, they’re trembling and I couldn’t afford to let him see it. It’s selfish of me to think of what ifs when it’s clearly his future being determined here.

He’s restless, fingers drumming on the table – nearly flipping the plate of fries – he smiled at me but it doesn’t reach his eyes. Could it be that he remembered? I avoid his gaze because tears are slowly forming and I promised I won’t cry on this moment. He suddenly stood up, looking determinedly at the center. That’s when I finally notice the person gawking at him; my tapered heart beats rapidly – anticipation? nervousness?  probably envy - as if it’s going to burst right out from my knitted chest.  

 He walks slowly as if some unknown, invisible force drags him to where the person is; said person’s lips bloom into a knowing smile – bursting a glow on his surroundings yet shadowing my remaining shine.  Something deep tells me to stop staring but sometimes each part of you has a mind of its own.

His wearing the same blinding smile the day he was told his voice could move mountains and could melt Antarctica in seconds as he closes to the other. The (puppy-eyed, freaking tall) stranger – I’ll probably officially meet him in the next few days – walks closer as if same invisible rope pulling him.  

I took a deep, dawdling breath before I ran off from the scene. Suddenly, I am crying. Hot tears falling rapidly down my cheeks.

I look at my wrist again, scratching on it; trying to get rid of the damn watch.

The numbers will never change.

It stopped two years ago.                

Di pa ba sapat ang sakit at lahat
Na hinding hindi ko ipararanas sa'yo

Everyone thinks goodbye is the saddest word from the human language but they probably haven’t experience the pain of almost. 

I almost met him. I was almost happy. It was almost a happy ever after.

Fate says you have him – somewhere, someone is also waiting for you - but it doesn’t guarantee the ending. I’m never one to expect because expectations lead to false hopes; and false hopes lead to disappointments but deep inside me –