part 1

Start writing your story

flashbacks in italics

The Thornton mansion was already full of rich people having fake friendly conversations about yachts, golf, business, or just straight up their millions of dollars lying around their houses in the shape of old ass portraits, vases, or multiple cars.

Being a full-on kook and Topper Thornton's girlfriend had made you get used to this stuff, though you wouldn't exactly consider yourself a fan of it all. This whole act of living the perfect life? Of having a happy, picture-perfect family? You hated it — but Topper didn't.

To him, being a kook consisted of doing all those things everyone else on Figure Eight did. Not deviating from the mainstream. And that also included having the seemingly most perfect kook princess by his side. So — to please the boy you'd been in love with for almost three years now — you went along, plastering on a fake smile whenever you'd talk to someone and never ever leaving your boyfriend's side on social outings like these.

"Hey, babe, everything alright? Are you pissed or something?" Topper asked you as he pulled you around the corner of the hallway and into a spare guest bedroom. "You know, you seem a little... unhappy tonight," he explained, an annoyed look on his face to which you just rolled your eyes. "Baby, nothing's wrong, I swear to God," you hissed back at him with an equally annoyed demeanor.

Your boyfriend's antics and anger issues were normal and nothing you couldn't handle on your own. Or so you thought. He had always been a bitch about you not playing your role perfectly. He loved you, no question, but his obsession with that picture-perfect kook life made things complicated from time to time. They usually didn't bother you much, knowing Topper would never want to hurt you.

But one night you felt different. And one night you made a mistake. And you decided to lie about it. For more than a year now. "I'm fine, let's go and have some fun, okay baby?" You told him, giving him a loving kiss before making your way out of the house.

"Hey," Rafe said as he sat down next to you and handed you another red cup filled with some bitter amber liquid before getting out his credit card and a dollar bill to prepare a new line of coke on the couch table in front of you.

"You want one too?" He asked after coming up from snorting the white powder off the glass surface, cleaning his nose as he inhaled the remains of the drug. He very well knew you didn't do drugs, it was part of your innocent angel act.

The beer was already more than enough anyways. And you knew you shouldn't be drinking any more in order to keep up that reputation of the perfect kook princess that stays out of trouble. And in order to not embarrass your boyfriend who had always relied on you being an absolute sweetheart. But something felt off tonight. So you agreed and took the card and dollar bill from Rafe's hand, earning a soft smile from him. You bent down and inhaled the powder, coughing when you felt the sting in your nostrils.

"Easy there, darling," he commented with a laugh, soothingly running his hand up and down your back. "Have you seen Topper?" You suddenly blurted out, having wondered for a good hour now where your boyfriend disappeared.

The table in front of you was now coated in the remains of the dusty white powder. You placed your cup on it as you looked around the living room, full of young adults seemingly having the time of their life. You tried to forget about Rafe's hand on your back, but your entire conscience was focused on that specific warm feeling.

"No, not for a while," he said, leaning back as he took another sip of his beer. You turned around to see him scan your body with his hungry eyes. Your boyfriend's best friend has always been the flirty type but he knew you were off limits.