10

(One chapter left! thank you, everyone, who has stuck around for this amazing journey!)

(Y/n) stands alone in front of a strikingly familiar shop.

They don't like the memories that come with it.

"So this is where you bought your prom outfit?" They remember saying, staring into the wonderfully decorated display with awe.

"Yeah, it was quite cheap." Tonio would respond with a friendly laugh, his hand in theirs. "I can show it to you later, and you can tell me what you think of it?"

"I wouldn't mind keeping the surprise until next week, I'm sort of looking forward to seeing you all pretty for the occasion."

"Ah, but what if you find it hideous in the end?"

"Nah, don't worry about that." (Y/n)s head would dip as they forced a smile, their walking resuming down the street by his side. "Besides, Aya is the one who has to like it, right?"

A playful nudge prodded their shoulder, their attention turned to their one, and only. "Well, since there will be lots of pics in me in it during the party, I'd be happy if more than one person liked it."

"Well... Fine, I guess there's no harm seeing you all fancied up when you put it that way..."

"Thank you! I promise to help you with yours, too!"

(Y/n) fumbled with their words as their tongue went dry, lips twitching to both a frown, and smile. "Mine? You're going to have to wait a while."

"That's fine! I wouldn't miss seeing you graduate for anything in the world, y'know?"

"That's my line."

"I'll buy you any outfit you want, I promise."

"R-Really?"

"Of course! When have I ever lied to you?"

When has he ever lied to them?

"Well... Thank you, Tonio."

Yes, it really wasn't much of a pleasant memory. It was good, but didn't play out like how (Y/n) wanted. Instead, Tonio should've said something like 'hey, you and I should go together instead! Aya will be fine on her own!', or something else utterly unrealistic. They let their fantasies get them through the day, and now that he's gone, they end up being all they have left.

'He was so handsome, on his prom day..' They said to themselves, continuing their marching down the street. 

Shizuka should be somewhere around the hospital area, or near there-- Poking around records and files in search of information. 

'I wish I could've had my prom day...' Their thoughts refused to cease as they wandered. 'And Tonio... Always helping me with studying and schoolwork, I wish I wasn't so bad at it all... But I.. I would do anything for him. Even if it's a diploma, or finding something he wants to eat despite his sickness.'

The day he turned, that's what flashed inside their mind. 'I will take care of you,' they internally promised, 'as you did for me... Every time I heard your voice, I got so happy. Where'd your smile go, Tonio? Won't you show it to me again?'

The faintness of his voice calling out to (Y/n) echoed down the street as if he were there in person, but they didn't dare look.

"...(Y/n)!"

They didn't dare look.

~