𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄

𝟏

                                                                        𝟏

𝐓𝐨𝐝𝐚𝐲 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐲 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐩𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐝𝐚𝐲 — there was a nice wind, that pushed the opaque clouds in the sky, and the surrounding calmness allowed the quiet hums of some sappy love song make place in the atmosphere between them.

(F/n) watchfully pierced her needle through the fabric of a worn-out coat. At first, she was overwhelmed by the number of bruises and batters she received in her combo, but she was glad that she started right away. Tying the final knot, she gave it and the rest of the pieces a lengthy look. Almost done...She thought

With the deed half done, she pulled out her cellphone from her drawer with the speed of dripping wax, sending a long glance at the busy person across the room. Nails cut short — Her fine fingers skated on their rink — the keypad, and with a spark of light, the scratchy dings started, soaking in the air surrounding them.

With a click, an almost automatic reply followed:

"Pronto?"

"Good afternoon, Aunt Elia. It's (F/n)", the girl greeted in a hushed tone, being mindful of her friend's study.

"Gattina! How are ya' baby?" Her aunt's raspy tone visibly bubbled.

"Good, you ma'am?"

"Oh, you already know: lookin' after the baby is a real mess for me, my husband and I even stayed up the whole night last night, can you believe it!" the elder humorously blurted out, but a pinch of annoyance still lingered in her message. "He's lucky that he's cute."

"You're right..." (F/n) absentmindedly replied, thinking of a way she'd need to formulate her next sentence. "...I was wondering, are you free right now?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"So, you know how I have the thing soon, right? I was wondering if I can borrow a spare pair shoes for it. If there aren't any, please don't force yourself..." The girl quieted at the last part. It always felt strange asking people for help, even taboo.

"Shoes? Just that!" Aunt Elia questioned in surprise. "Of course I can give some! I can even give you hundreds if you want!"

"Just a pair will do, thank you..." she humbly replied.

The instant shuffling of boxes through her Nokia vibrated lightly into the girl's ears, who curiously pondered all the choices that she might receive. Unfortunately, not a single shade would harmonize with the half-beaten rag that she'd been gifted only recently.

"Want to come by right now?"

Shooting her alarm-clock a quick peak, (F/n) nodded to herself. "Sure, I have the time. Is there something I can get on the way?"

Her aunt paused with a hum, leaving her niece to attentively press her phone closer to her face.
With a breath, she replied: "Bring me your costume. I'd like to see it first, before I do anything else."

(F/n) was uncertain of what to say next — to herself, it felt as if their conversation had concluded. As if on cue, an uneven wail echoed through the walls of her Aunt's home, into the walls of her own ear. "Hey, we'll talk more over dinner, okay? Sorry for ending the call like this..." the girl quietly agreed to this. With a goodbye on each side, the call had ended.

The student sat in place for a moment, head turning to the window, then to the hunched back of a girl close-by.

"Lungo," (F/n) gently said, standing up. "I'm going to visit my Aunt, so can you tell the housemistress that I won't be there for dinner?" the girl in question didn't budge, eyes steadily trailing a brightly highlighted page, paying no attention whatsoever to her roommate's news. Her indifference was a common treat for any living being on this dormitory, though (F/n) tried to not take it personally.

A white blouse and simple navy jeans in hand, she rushed into their shared bathroom, leaving the door open ajar. The girl washed her face in haste and squeezed toothpaste into her mouth, spraying specks of water all over the mirror. I'm not being too loud, am I? She swirled the minty substance in her mouth, eyeing the opened door then softly reaching over to close it.

Rinsing her mouth, droplets dripped off of (F/n)'s hands, which she used to style her short hair. Patting it down was always enjoyable for her, but it would've been even more if only that little piece of her cow lick wouldn't stick out like a twig.

After wiping the mirror, then checking the backs of her pearl studs, she rushed out of the cramped room for her demanded item — the costume, putting it, with no thought, into the nearest sack (which happened to be her equally worn-out sports bag).

The romantic tunes of the radio ceased by the time (F/n) got to the entrance, who sent her stoic roommate a questioning look. Her expression remained the same, and her chartreuse wisps of hair still curtained her pale face like they did before. Are hero's stare lingered for a bit, until closing the door behind her.

━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

Pronto ─ "Ready" in italian. "Ciao" can sometimes be vague, since it's used as "hello" and as "bye-bye". By answering a phone, you're telling your caller that you are ready to talk.

Gattina ─ "Kitten" in italian.