Alt

18th March, 2045, Space debris trouble us....

The stir of the radio jarred Ingong from his sleep. Stretching his hands back, and a yawn, energy surged through once more. He turned to the calendar on the wall. There was a circle around a number.

March 18.

He couldn't help but smile. The tube-like machine, was the answer to everything. All those years. It was the size of a 36" television, and its body connected to a metal bulk twice as large.

On the metal bulk, he flicked a small switch. A whirr in decrescendo, and steam escaping.

"You've worked so hard."

You've worked so hard.

Recent experiments have failed, and hopes for the future diminish once more....

Ingong let out a small breath.

He knew that this was what he brought onto himself. Maybe if he had given up, he would be working in much more comfortable conditions.

He picked up a small metal ball. It's cool.

He wondered: Can I ever feel heat again?

He turned to his invention.

CORDS, in collaboration with the government, are currently on a manhunt....

Rap.

Ingong exhaled. He pressed a button behind the contraption.

Rap. Rap. Rap.

"Damn it all!" Ingong hissed as his fingers tangoed on the keyboard.

Click.

Crash!

Ingong smiled. It's over.

"Surrender now, Mr. Ju!"

Ingong stifled a giggle.

"I said, hands up! Now!"

Barrels and laser dots greeted his sight.

"It's over," Ingong said, "No one can save you."

A whirring sound came, and filled the room.

"What did you do, Mr Ju!"

Ingong smiled. "Here's my Alternate Space Theorem."

***

"Alright, so remember his face, okay?"

"Yes," I said, nodding, "I understand."

The photograph of Jane in my hand had already been crumpled up as I crossed the office.

The scientists, no matter their seniority, stood up from their seats and bowed. I smiled at them, and continued my brisk tread to the large metal double door.

I placed my hand on a panel by the side, and there was a beep that followed.

Greeting me, A small tube-like machine sat on a small pedestal. I turned towards a security camera, and nodded. There was a whirr that followed, and I took a deep breath, and closed my eyes.

I'm ready.

The whirr grew louder.

My feet are frozen!

I opened my eyes.

Red swirls. Blue. Yellow. Green.

The sound of footsteps.

Slowly, I turned.

"Mr. Ju?"