The Masons Arrival

Dateline: July 31st, 1992

In the beautiful sky of Surrey, London, the metallic gold letters of Harry Potter and Hermione Granger: The Chamber of Secrets zoom into the camera on this quiet evening.

Our story starts in a bedroom, not a cupboard, not in the kitchen, but a bedroom. The Dursleys had four bedrooms. One for Vernon and Petunia, One for Dudley, One for the Guest Room, and Dudley's second bedroom, which is now Harry and Hermione's as they slept in it last year. They remember everything of what it was like being in that cupboard from the very start. From the confined space to seeing no lights except for the one outside, they are lucky that Vernon offered up Dudley's second bedroom because there were spiders on every single inch of the cupboard.

It's been forty-one days since Harry and Hermione were at Hogwarts. All the spellbooks, wands, robes, cauldrons, and their top-of-the-line Nimbus Two Thousand broomsticks had been locked in the Cupboard Under The Stairs the instant Harry and Hermione got home. And if that wasn't worse, he padlocked Hedwig's cage and kept Crookshanks hidden in a closet so that Hermione won't have anyone to comfort her except for Harry.

Today is Harry's twelfth birthday, and Hermione went out of the house (unnoticed by the Dursleys) to buy Harry his gift. It was a little calendar booklet for him to remember specific dates for exams or things that happened throughout Hogwarts. Unfortunately, the Dursleys nearly forgets Harry and Hermione's birthdays a lot, and the only thing they'd ever got from them was either Vernon's old socks or Dudley's old shirts that were too small for him.

Hermione has her head on Harry's shoulder as both of them looked at redheaded figures in the background. After reaching King's Cross Station, Molly Weasley, the mother of the redheaded clan, looked over at the two and saw the scars on their foreheads. She walked over to them, and soon after, they were introduced to the rest of the Weasleys, except for the dad. Molly's husband, Arthur Weasley, has said to the kids that he worked for the Ministry of Magic. She said to write them something while on break, and if anything happens, someone will save them. They looked at the photo of them and the twins of the Weasleys, Fred and George. The Weasleys were a Gryffindor family, and it was unfortunate enough that their youngest son, Ron, was sorted into Hufflepuff because of his loyal prowess and character. He's a kind-loving soul, but his determination is on point, and he hates being degraded by his older brothers. They were still looking at the photo until they heard Hedwig chirping and hooting in her cage.

"I can't let you out, Hedwig. We're not allowed to use magic outside of school," said Harry as Hedwig was now nibbling at her lock. "Besides, if Uncle Vernon-"

"Harry Potter and Hermione Granger!" yelled Vernon as Hermione looked at Hedwig and closed the album.

"Speak of the devil, now you've done it," she said, and they headed downstairs.

Aunt Petunia was preparing a cake when they got downstairs. Harry's first thought was that it was finally time that someone remembered his birthday, but he was wrong. Vernon, Dudley, and Petunia were dressed in fancy clothes. What was going on? Who would be coming into this house? Harry and Hermione walked into the living room, where Vernon is helping Dudley with his tie.

"I'm warning you. If you can't control that bloody bird, it'll have to go."

"But she's bored. If I could only let her out for...an hour or two." Harry explained.

"So you can send secret messages to your freaky little friends?" he chuckled. "No, sir."

"But we haven't been getting any messages from any of our friends. Not one. all summer." Hermione said.

"Who would want to be friends with you two?" Dudley said, bumping Harry and Hermione harshly.

The next thing Hermione knew was bumping Dudley hard and sent him straight to the floor. Vernon gave Hermione a malicious look and told her and Harry to get to their room, but not before saying to them, "The Masons are coming today. With any luck, this could be the day I make the biggest deal of my career, and you two will not mess it up! And you two should be a little more grateful. We've raised you since you were babies, given you the food off the table, and even let you have Dudley's second bedroom, purely out of the goodness of our hearts. So now, where should you be where I told you two to go?"

"Of course," Harry thought bitterly. "Vernon was talking about the stupid dinner party where some rich builder and his wife were coming to dinner, and he's hoping to get a huge order from him."

"We'll be in our bedroom," Hermione said quietly.

"Making no noise and pretending that we don't exist," said Harry in the same tone.

"Too right you will," he said proudly.

They went up to their room and peered over at the door. They could still hear the conversation from their room as the Dursleys were going over their plans for the Masons to arrive.

"Now, let's go over the schedule once again, shall we? Petunia, when the Masons arrive, you will be...?"

"In the lounge," said Petunia promptly, "waiting to welcome them graciously to our home."

"Good, good. And Dudley?"

"I'll be waiting to open the door," he said, putting a foul and simpering smile. "May I take your coats, Mr and Mrs Mason?"

"I will lead them into the lounge, introduce you, Petunia, and pour them drinks. Then, at eight-fifteen-" Vernon said before getting cut off by Petunia.

"I'll announce dinner,"

"And, Dudley, you'll say-"

"May I take you through the dining room, Mrs Mason?" he said, holding his fat arm to an invisible woman.

"Now, we should aim to get in a few compliments at dinner. Petunia, any ideas?"

"Vernon tells me you're a wonderful golfer, Mr Mason. Do tell me where you brought your dress, Mrs Mason."

"Perfect. Now, the Masons wouldn't know anything about our nephew and niece, and it's going to stay that way. When dinner's over, you take Mrs Mason back to the lounge for coffee, Petunia, and I'll bring the subject around to drills. With any luck, I'll have the deal signed and sealed before the news at ten. We'll be shopping for a vacation home in Majorca this time tomorrow."

When Vernon said this, there was a rush that was coming from the two kids. They didn't think the Dursleys would like them any better in Majorca than they did on Privet Drive.

"Right -- I'm off into town to pick up the dinner jackets for Dudley and me."

It was half-past seven in the evening when at last, exhausted, Petunia called her son and husband.

"Get in here! And walk on the newspaper!"

Before the doorbell rang, Vernon came to check on their nephew and niece and appeared at the foot of the doorway, opening it.

"Remember, kids -- one sound, and you're done!" he said, slamming the door.

Something popped from where Harry and Hermione slept, and that someone was jumping on their bed.