The Freezing Night

"Maybe I could've just been a model, you know." A young lady sit tightly on her chair. She put her head on the table in front of her. The chocolate pudding in a small bowl can't stop giggling for a reason. That young lady keeps punching it softly with her dessert spoon.

"Stop playing with your food, Akari. You're supposed to eat them, not playing with them while imagining things that'll never happen." A soft and soothing voice of a lady comes from the kitchen right behind the dining table. The open kitchen with modern bar model having a woman stands there doing dishes. As her apron getting wet and dirty, she walks by and sit in front of the young lady, Akari.

"You're so cruel, Mom. Being a model is my dream. You should've supported me approaching my dreams!" Akari gets up from the dining table and finally starts eating her pudding.

"You always change your dream. You're too easy to get influenced by anything you see and hear. I'm confused which dream of yours that I should support." Akari's mom takes her pudding and eat it.

Akari doesn't reply anything. She's just pouting on her chair.

"It's almost the time. Why don't you get ready from now? Or you will be late for this afternoon shift."

"I know, I know. I'm not a child anymore. I can manage good time easily." Akari eats the left pudding in one bribe.

"You said that but you always need me to wake you up in the morning, making you meals, and even preparing your bento. You're 21 this year, not a kid anymore. At least find yourself a boyfriend, won't you?"

"Mom, you're talking too much."

"What?! What do you—"

"See you tonight, Mom! Love ya!" Akari, as fast as lightning grabs her bag, kisses her mom's cheek, and leaves house in one move.

She takes her bicycle and start pedaling. Akari meets some people on her way and greet them with kind. With the birds chirp in harmony, Akari feel the freshness of the air in the morning. Even she has to keep pedaling for 10 kilos, she thinks she will not feel any pain in her legs.

Akari's mom never really let her and Akari live in a big city. So, Akari spends most her lifetime in this small city near a quiet and infamous sea. Even tho this city has no skyscrapers, the roads are mostly in good condition plus there are police posts in every corner. Just like now, a young policeman stops Akira from her ride, making the young lady needs to pull over to side of the road.

"Good morning, Ms." The policeman greets Akira in friendly voice.

Akira looks at her watch, 11 am.

"Good morning, Sir. Is there anything I can help you with?" asked Akira.

The one who stands in front of her is a tall figure. Not much muscles, but his shoulders look very steady and wide. Akira can't deny that this young -but older than her, looks so cool in his uniform. Unfortunately, Akira can't see his haircut since this young man is wearing his hat so neat.

"Oh, not really. I just need to remind you that you have to wear helmet while you're riding bicycle."

"Oh..." Akira is frozen. She forgot her helmet? How? No, it's not like she actually forgot about it, but for past these years there was no one to remind her about her helmet. She is not even a kid anymore. She is 21 this year!

"So you might get back to your house and take your helmet, or you can just leave your bicycle here and take the next bus to your destination."

Is he completely clueless or something? Is he a new cop here?

"Umm, Sir. I don't think you understand, but I'm not some underage. I'm in my legal age, okay?"

"I know."