Laine McAdams

"I understand your fear," A little girl, 15 years old, said to God one day. Or she thought she understood the fears of an immortal. Lanie McAdams was a naturally fearful gal, fearing the smallest spiders and the largest cliffs that decorated this God-Given gift of a world.

"I understand your fear," Lanie, one day, said to the crisp cool air that surrounded her.

"I understand your fear. I'll go and kill the monster you fear, the beast in the woods. I promise." Lanie vowed. While she was fearful, she was too kind and impulsive. Lanie knew she would die in the feat but that didn't dwindle down her hurtful optimism, which did more than good. though.

So, an hour later, young Lanie left her Grandma's house with her deceased Grandpa's sword. She ventured into the Great Unknown—the forest that bordered her hometown—pride in every step. Looking at the forest floor, she found a cool rock. It was way more than a rock.

She stopped at the edge of the forest. It looked vast, mysterious and forbidding. Mustering up her courage, she took a step closer but was immediately distracted by a rock, that was way more than just a rock.

What if I get hungry? She pondered for a moment, standing in the wild woods, before turning right around to head to the plaza in her hometown.

"I'll get some bread for this special, extravagant rock."

Pretty quickly after turning around, the familiar view of the colorful tents popped back up in the view. The tents lined the streets of Echkar, large and small tables decorated the plaza. Lanie walked through the clutter of people, a soft smile on her face.

"Hey Julien!" She waved energetically to a man inside an overcrowded tent, where rows of loaves and buns lined the table. The man turned around, dusting an apron covered in flour and his  face lit up seeing the girl again.

"How can I help you, young girl? Why do you carry your G-Pa's sword?" He probed gently, moving away from his customers. Lanie laughed heartily even though a twinge of anxiety centered in her stomach.

"Oh you wouldn't like the reason." She looked away. She looked away.

Moments later, she pulled out the cool rock she found and showed Julien.

Her eyes landed on a soft loaf of bread, reminding her of her visit. She pulled out the rock and showed Julien.

"Look at this!" She held up the black and purple rock to the sky's natural light. A little glow, A blue, iridescent glow emitted from the rock. As people caught a glimpse of the rock, they began crowding around Lanie and Julien.

"Whoa!" Some people gasped, some shouted at the obvious beauty.

"I'll trade you this cool rock for a loaf!" She exclaimed before letting Julien hold it and feel the rough edges and the smooth side of the rock. He smiled and pocketed it.

"Alright, gal. I can do a quarter loaf, no more than that." Immediately, Lanie agreed and grabbed the bread and sprinted off into the woods.

By the time she was halfway to the heart of the woods Surprisingly, the green magical forest welcomed every step she took. The lazy, warm wind would kissed her skin with love and luck. Flowers blooming around her feet (would) cherished her every, "Ooh" and "Aah." Every flower wished her love and luck, even if she didn't know any flower language. Her heart knew the message the woods seemed to chant silently.

When the sun hid behind the trees and clouds, the wind cooled and the flowers turned into frosted weeds. Lanie knew she was in the Beast's Lair. When the cold air bid "Adieu" to her life, she started fearing for herself. Before she walked unknowingly into her death, she had romanticized her standing on the Beast's big, ugly head and herself never fearing for herself or her life ever again.