THE DYSTORIAN LINEAGE

As soon as he touched the soft grass, Cormack ran like the wind, not daring to look back. To his horror, he heard the thunderous galloping of horses. Winding around trees and dodging blindly of any low hanging branches, Cormack lost the horsemen after a heart-thudding chase into the forest. As he made his way deeper inside carrying a torch, something moved past him, and all went dark.

Cormack awoke on a marble-stoned cold floor tinged with black and green. A good ten feet to his right, stood a pale lady but breathtakingly enchanting, looking not older than 24 dressed in a dark maroon gown, the hem of her gown just right above her heels. She eyed Cormack with brilliant reddish-golden eyes, alert and contemplative. As he continued to stir, a flash of excitement passed her pale complexion. When she spoke, her voice sounded so silky and light yet dangerous. “Hello there…human. I see that you’re finally waking up. My sincerest apologies for having us meet like this. After all, you were trespassing. Now, I propose that you should indulge me in what brings you into my domain?” Followed by a short pause, she laughed sending chills up Cormack’s spine. “I almost forgot, where are my manners? I’m Celeste but for you, Your Highness would suffice.” Judging by Cormack’s surprised look, she said softly with a small playful smile, “Yes human I am soon to be Queen of my beloved dark clan.” In seconds, she was in front of Cormack’s eyes, hand to his throat.

With a sinister smile and eyes glinting, she spoke softly, “I repeat, what are you doing here in the vicinity of my domain?” 

“I-I-was in s-search f-f-or assistance…. f-rom-m yo-u-u”, choked Cormack.

“And why exactly?”, hissed Celeste dangerously.

“Ru-una-a-way... Dy-st-toria… que-en…”

Celeste relinquished her grip and Cormack thudded onto the hard marble. Celeste, still standing over Cormack watching in eerie silence, only the hard gasps from Cormack are being heard. When Cormack steadied himself, Celeste spoke once again, with the same soft dangerous tones, she said, “I shall need to prove that you’re telling the truth and… I am hungry indeed now…” Before Cormack could even push himself up into a sitting position, Celeste’s lips already around his neck, her fangs like two sharp white-hot needles piercing deep into his flesh. The pain, yet there’s pleasure mixed in it. Memories and events flooded Celeste’s mind; she could see everything about Cormack. For what seems like an eternity, Celeste withdraws herself, licking her lips, a look of immense satisfaction upon her pale features.

“Oops, I think I might’ve taken a little too much from you, my pet after all I’ve never tasted blood as intoxicating as yours…”, teased Celeste. Cormack could barely muster any energy; he felt himself slipping away into unconsciousness.

The last thing he felt before succumbing was the cold soothing touch from Celeste as she whispered into his ear while licking a drizzle of blood running down from her bite, “Everything’s going to be alright my pet….”

Cormack awoke a day and a half later and finds himself on a plush velvety bed accompanied by four bedposts at each corner. As if right on cue, Celeste walked in, her majestic grandeur engendering Cormack to gawk, carrying a tray of what looks like food. Seeing him awake and staring, she gave a tinkling laugh and cooed, “Finally…look who’s awake….”. She propped Cormack up on the pillows while brushing his hair away from his brown eyes. 

“You’ve been out for some time my pet”, said Celeste. “Here, let me feed you.”

Cormack, still feeling a bit disoriented, did not recoil at her perching lightly beside him and allowed himself to be fed. Although uneasily terrified by her, there’s something captivating about Celeste. Celeste must’ve noticed the worry in Cormack’s eyes for she nonchalantly said with a giggle, “Don’t worry my pet, it seems that you were being truthful after all. You don’t have to fear anything anymore.” Cormack nodded hesitantly.