to be so new

Jude wanted to pretense this situation by saying that this was all Kiki's fault. (Was not! )

It didn't matter that they couldn't have guessed that trusting a pop up would lead them stranded in the middle of the woods. Yes, they know that sounds completely absurd, hear them out.

Both of them were hanging out at the library down the block, reading/writing/snorting at tiktoks/having a mental breakdown. Ignore that last bit the same way Jude did.

It was sometime in autumn when it happened. Kiki was wearing their dinosaurhoodie—and favorite jeans; Jude was wearing their bright red jacket, as they always did, a graphic t-shirt that made absolutely no sense, and ripped jeans. Yes, it was raining and neither of them brought an umbrella, shut up.

It's at this point in time Kiki spots a popup on their phone—which was weird, seeing as tiktok doesn't have ads, but they were going to ignore that in favour of looking into it, because it was dumb and intresting and, hey, they weren't too against ad-games. Sure, they're as wacky as anything comes, but that's besides the point. In any case, Kiki did what anyone in their situation would do, they pressed the ad. Accidentally. Okay, first of all, they clicked the big red X in the corner, like any sane person; then it popped up right in the middle of the screen where they accidentally pressed it, and it caught their interest, something that Jude would call their ADHD brain, so they read through it. The game was free, but it still said something along the lines of start your free game today! which made zero sense but nothing makes sense when you're fifteen, so this wasn't as unusual as it could have been.

So, you might be wondering, what the hell does that have to do with anything? Shut up, you're the one reading fanfiction about people falling into alternate universes, speaking of which, that's what happened. They just. Popped out. With the sound effect and everything. As totally normal, not protagonist, fifteen-year-olds do.

_

Jude wakes up to someone smacking their face.

This is a normal occurrence that will not be discussed for plot purposes. Kiki—or someone that looks vaguely like Kiki—stares at them. Then, just a tad hysterically, Kiki says, "What the hell happened to your eyes?"

Jude, being the gremlin that they are, responds with, "The hell happened to your eyes." before realizing that something had, in fact, happened to Kiki's eyes. They were black now, instead of that warm brown color Jude had grown accustom to, and their pupils were a bright red. Like the flash of a picture. Red in the middle. Like someone stuck a needle and it bled.

"What happened to my eyes?" Kiki whispers. "Your eyes are yellow, you don't have pupils, what happened to my eyes. And my hair —"

Jude refocuses. Kiki's hair is blue. Like used box dye kind of blue. " What the fuck—"

"And your hair—basically looks the same, really."

"Then why does your hair look like a Walmart brand blue—that's not fair!"

"Your eyes are literally gold, dunderhead." Kiki spits. "They'd probably be worth millions."

"Sell them on the black market then." Jude counters.

"Ew."

"That's fair." They both wait a minute. Jude gets up from where they were on the floor and looks at their hands. The nails are black, like they've been painted—they look at Kiki's hands and there's black powdered until the second knuckle on each finger. Weird. "We gotta get to a city or whatever."

"What direction should we go in then?"

"The direction of god —just kidding, just kidding.. unless—"