Chapter 1

Hey, this is my first Wattpad story and i would love some feedback however critical =)

Also, if anyone could recomend a title i think mines a bit crap, thankies =D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“There’s no argument about it.” Snapped my mother. “You’re going and that’s final!”

“Please Mother…” I sobbed, I didn’t want to go and find a husband. I’m only sixteen. These were supposed to be modern times, I thought girls my age would be able to find and choose their own husbands. I mean I do get to choose one out of a select few that my parents have chosen which is a lot more than many other girls get. To choose the one that they want to spend the rest of their lives with is an extreme privilege.

“If we leave it any longer no one will want you my dear” she cooed gently. “you’re already a lot older than the average bride nowadays. When I was a girl it would’ve been totally unacceptable to leave it this long and you would’ve been taken to a ladies house to work years ago.”

“But…” I interrupted.

“No buts my dear, I got married to your father when I was just thirteen, it never did me any harm.”

Sighing; I turned around to Lauren my mothers maid but mine now. She had been a gift for my sixteenth birthday and she’s one of the loveliest people I’ve ever met. I heard my mother leave the room before Lauren spoke.

“Miss Elizabeth?” she asked curiously.

“How many times do I have to tell you to call me Beth? I don’t like ‘miss’ thing it’s demeaning for you.” I giggled making exaggerated quotation marks with my fingers.

“But it’s so improper miss,” she laughed, whilst waving for me to come over. The huge box containing my beautiful debutante gown propped up against her leg.

“Lets get you ready then,” she smiled proudly, she’d been planning this event for years along with my mother who seldom ever made contact with me apart from to impart her regular packages or misery to with husband finding.

“I’m not going to be able to get you ready in time for the ball unless you remove that nightdress.” Lauren stated, more firmly this time. I hadn’t realised I had been stood staring at the box for several minutes. Lauren; who was now used to my frequent day dreams, had begun to lay out the different parts of the dress onto the smooth cherry red and black silk sheets that caressed the dark, ebony four-poster bed.

“It’s beautiful isn’t it miss?” She whispered whilst gently placing the main part of the dress right in the centre. I didn’t reply. I looked at the terrifyingly torturous corset. Its pristine ribbons lying in venomous coils to its left. My first pair of lace panties and a petticoat to match lay to its right. The shear beautifulness tainted by the shop keepers comment of ‘it’s sure to be a treat for any husband.’

Husband. The thought terrified me. To be chained irreversibly to someone. Having an owner. A small, salty tear left a shiny track down the side of my cheek as these thoughts ran round my head. I then took in the dress.