1. in which friendships are formed 🌼

───  ゚☆: *. ☽ .* :☆゚ ───

When most people talk of new beginnings, they talk of shedding bad habits, of new classes and hobbies. When Ai talks of new beginnings, they mean skipping over multiple countries with a single Hello Kitty suitcase on the verge of ripping at the seams. 

Ninjago; a city whose reputation is questionable at its best, and downright malicious at its worst. Hidden beneath those bright neon signs and glimmering skyscrapers were the slickest, most horrible criminals to have ever graced the Earth. Lunatics in costumes, the lot of them. 

But the rent is cheap, so Ai figures she's been through worse. 

Ai hustles their suitcase up the bus steps, knee pressed against the back of the bag. The bus driver looks mildly irritated, but frankly, it's too early in the morning for any of this social cue nonsense. Switching flight after flight while running on five cans of instant coffee does wonders for Ai's normally haywire anxiety.

The bus is surprisingly full of people, even at this time of day. Ai spots an empty seat, next to a blonde that looks about their age. 

"Hey!" Ai wiggles her fingers, nods her head to the vacant spot. The bus bumps up and down, and it's a struggle to stand right. "There's nowhere else to sit, can I move your bag?"

"Oh, sure." 

Ai sits down, cramps the Hello Kitty suitcase in the space between her legs. "My name's Ai."

"I'm Blossom."

They shake hands briefly. Ai glances at the large duffle bag on Blossom's lap. Looks like they're not the only stranger to the city here.

"Same boat, huh?"

"Yeah." Blossom grimaces. "Where are you headed?"

"I.. honestly don't know." Ai shrugs. "Don't tell anyone, but it's my first time in Ninjago."

"That makes two of us." Blossom groans, leaning back into the patterned seats. "Man, I'm gonna get so lost-"

Ai gasps a bit, bounces in their seat and leans in close.

"Would you like company?" 

───  ゚☆: *. ☽ .* :☆゚ ───

Let it be known that Ai is an adult, and is fully aware of stranger dangers. But Blossom almost tripped face first while they were hauling luggage off the bus earlier, and accidentally bumped into a total of three people in the past hour. 

So.

They split a plain toaster waffle from a nearby drugstore, and walk aimlessly along the pavement, bags dragging behind them.

"Hey, Bloss," Ai says, crumbs on their chin. "I saw a hotel a few blocks back. I think I'm staying there for the night."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Are we sharing a room? If you're okay with it?"

"Yeah!" Blossom fumbles with the straps of their bag, "I have a bit of money with me, if we're gonna split?"

Well, that's  a relief to hear. The idea of pooling their money together has been floating in the back of Ai's mind for a while now. They shake out their pockets, shuffle through purses, standing in a quiet corner outside a coffee shop. 

"I've got about 80, in cash. You?"

"Same, give or take." 

"Right." Ai clicks her tongue. Spines pressed against the painted brick walls, they let a moment pass in silence. Thinking. It's not an ideal situation, but then again, life seldom is.