Chapter 10: The Ambuscade

They may not know nor care but the moment they stepped inside the dark bloodied cave, they know something bad about to happen.

It all started when they suddenly got attacked by the group of mysterious men dressing in all black, coming down from the highest trees. Almost few of them survived and hid inside the cave. Wang Yibo hold onto the rock wall as he dragged his injured leg inside. He glanced around to find the man in red following him, which unfortunately he didn't. He still outside fighting with those men.

Wang Zhuocheng gritted his teeth, he also got injured on his left arm by an arrow while trying to hit those men with his whipping rope. Wang Haikuan and the others disciples managed to get out from the circle and ran away from here. He was so glad. At least, they don't have to suffer more. The less the better.

It expectedly dark inside the cave. Wang Zhuocheng make a bon-fire and asked the injured disciples to sit around it. Warming themselves out. However Wang Yibo decided to stay far from them, he sat down on the ground, leaning on the nearest wall he can find. He tried to meditate but the pain didn't walk away just like that.

Not long after he heard a blast coming from the main entrance followed by a loud footsteps coming towards them. Wang Zhuocheng has prepared for the worst as he stood and watched the main entrance of the cave, only to find Xiao Zhan stepped forward. Xiao Zhan look around and turned to his side as he saw Wang Yibo sitting on the ground.

Xiao Zhan crouched down, staring at injured leg. He look up, eyes fall on Wang Yibo's face, staring at those soft features.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

Wang Yibo didn't know what to answer, of course he is not alright but Xiao Zhan wasn't that different from him. Wang Yibo can see the side of his rib bleeding but he didn't say anything about it. Xiao Zhan look around anxiously before he stood up from his position.

"Wait here ah?" He asked, looking at him expectantly.

Wang Yibo nods. Xiao Zhan tightened his lips as he went around looking for something. Wang Yibo wait for him patiently, hand still gripping his leg, hoping it stop bleeding or stop hurting. He felt numb, he might as well cry right there on the spot but he isn't that weak. Injury like this shouldn't affect him that much.

Soon Xiao Zhan returned with a lot of sticks, cut nicely to match each other lengths. He put it on Wang Yibo's injury making Wang Yibo gasped and groaned.

"Hold it," Xiao Zhan said gently.

Xiao Zhan sighed as he look around to find anything to tied this sticks on his leg. In the end, he ended up, untying his hair, pulling the red ribbon and wrapping it around Wang Yibo's leg. Wang Yibo watched as the hair fall softly on his skin, hanged on his shoulders. It looks soft to the touch but Wang Yibo can't bring himself to touch him or else he will be considered weird by many. Xiao Zhan look up to him and smiles, the brightest he can pull. Wang Yibo can see how shiny Xiao Zhan's eyes is behind those mask. If he take it off, he surely the pretty one.

Xiao Zhan huffed as he sat next to Wang Yibo, hand slowly rubbing the bleeding rib. Wang Yibo look at him who pay no attention as he turned his gaze towards Wang Zhuocheng and the other disciples.

"We need to get these people out of here," Xiao Zhan said, mind thinking of a plan.

Wang Yibo frowned, "The main entrance?" He asked.

Xiao Zhan chuckled awkwardly, "Tck, they were indeed smart enough. One of them managed to blew up and block the main entrance right after I went in. So there is no way out at this moment," he said. Continously rubbing the wound.

Wang Yibo stares at him, concerned.

"You're injured," he said.

Xiao Zhan look down at his wound, he hissed.

"Ah, don't mind it. It wasn't that hurt," he said.

However he didn't stop rubbing on his wound, Wang Yibo tightened his lips, eyeing him up and down.

"Then stop rubbing it," he said, worriedly.

Xiao Zhan giggled "oh, alright, alright. I stop now," he said and put his hand away.

Wang Yibo who still focused on his wound didn't realise when one of his disciple step forward and hand him a small handkerchief with a medicine on it. He look up at him and take it in his hand. The boy smiles brightly both at him and Xiao Zhan.

"Jian Zi Jun, Zhan qianbei, please treat your wounds. I only have a little of medicine but it's enough for all of us survivors," he said.

Wang Yibo nodded at him. Xiao Zhan smiling at him in playful way. Tilting his head to the side.

"What's your name?" He asked, staring at the boy.

"I'm Zheng Fan Xing, you can call me Wang Fan," he said.

Xiao Zhan frowned, there's a confusion in his silence. Wang Yibo coughed a little bit as he answer.

"He's adopted," as soon as the words left his mouth, he can Xiao Zhan continue to beam again.

"Ah, I see. Wang Fan then," he said. He lifted both his hands and gripped it, while muttering "Thanks" to the boy. Zheng Fan Xing or Wang Fan head back towards the group of disciples while glancing at them non-stop.

Xiao Zhan sighed, leaned on the wall comfortably. He shut his eyes as if he about to sleep. Wang Yibo stares down at the medicine in his hand before lifting his hand to Xiao Zhan's face. Xiao Zhan can feel the brush of handkerchief in his face, he opened his eyes and looked over to his side.

"Apply this on your wound," he said.

Xiao Zhan shook his head, he take the medicine from Wang Yibo's hand. Pinching it lightly and brought it closer to Wang Yibo's leg. Wang Yibo hissed and jumped from his position when the medicine hit his wound. Xiao Zhan leaned down to blow the pain away, slowly rubbing the medicine on his wound. After that he rolled the medicine up and slipped it underneath his robe. Wang Yibo frowned.

"You... don't want to use it?"

Xiao Zhan pouted, brought his arms up and behind his head, leaning on it, comfortably.

"Don't worry about me, I'll keep it for later. Plus your wound were more serious than mine so just mind yourself will you?" He said. His voice were calm and collected.

Wang Yibo look down on the ground "But you-"

Xiao Zhan shush him.

"While I was looking for the branch for your wound, I saw there is pool underneath this area. So I go ahead and wander around, and I saw leaves floating on the water. I'm pretty sure there is a way out of this place. I need to think of a plan to bring us down there," he said. Eyes still close in comfort.

"Why? Is there anything down there?" Wang Yibo asked.

Xiao Zhan nods, "Yeah, there is a lot of dead corpses down there. Most of them have turned into skeletons. So whatever that is, it's still hiding there somewhere," he said.

It must because of how long Wang Yibo was staring at Xiao Zhan, he heard Xiao Zhan snickered.

"Don't worry. You should heal yourself first, at least take a rest before we can do anything," he said.

Wang Yibo breathe out slowly, he turned back around and leaned on the wall. He shut his eyes and focused on breathing. Trying to get into meditation as calm as possible despite the situation they are in now.

He just hope his brother will come back and bring more people to help them.

•••

To Be Continue.