Teachers From Hell

Chapter Twenty: Teachers From Hell- 1996

"Today, we will be brewing the potent poison, Weedosoros. Take great care to keep this concoction away from your hands and mouth. If you do swallow some of this poison, immediately proceed to the Hospital Wing. The rest of us shouldn't have to be bothered with your convulsing." Snape tells the class in his usual monotone. "I suggest a pair of gloves and goggles but the choice is up to you. Now go, page two ninety eight."

The class scurries along, finding the list of ingredients they need before settling back down at their brewing stations. Camila happily gets out her brand new, shiny cauldron she got for Christmas.

"What if I die making this?" Ramisa asks as Camila looks over the instructions.

"You won't. I'll just shove a bezoar down your throat if you start foaming at the mouth or something." Camila says nonchalantly.

"A what now?"

"It's an antidote that cures most poisons, its essentially a stone-like mass that forms from the stomach of a goat."

"That's bloody vial." Ramisa cringes.

"As much as, what is it?... an adder snake tongue and frog mucus?" Camila says with a face of disgust, looking at her pile of ingredients.

"You're right, I'll take a stomach stone from a goat."

"Goldstein, Rosier, why is it in every class I have to tell you two to shut up?" Snape comes from behind him. Without another word, the girls hurry along to start brewing their potion.

"I must warn you all, inhaling too much vapor from this poison could also cause severe harm." Snape announces.

Camila snaps her goggles on and adjusts her gloves on her hands before measuring out eight ounces of iguana blood as the base of the potion. After lots go stirring and adding in acrumatula venom, adders fork, and dandelion roots, Camila felt herself starting to feel slightly hot and sick.

"Um Professor, I'm feeling a little weird..." Camila raises her hand.

Snape glides over to her and looks into her cauldron. "Yes well, you're brewing your weedosors perfectly. Well done." Snape goes to move again but stops when Camila continues.

"Yes um thank you, it's just that I feel a bit sick or dizzy or something."

"It's the vapors, Goldstein. Either leave and ruin your potion or keep going."

"Erm... okay." Camila mumbles before crushing up a handful of banberries in a mortal, making them into a paste. She scoops out the berries and adds it to the cauldron, causing the color to turn into a nice dark purple.

Around her, students being coughing, passing out or rushing out of the room to go to the Hospital Wing. Camila however, is determined to finish her brew, so she takes off her tie and wraps it around her mouth and nose to use it as some kind o shield from the vapors.

Her final step was whisking a doxy egg into a small bowl before adding it to the potion as well. She gives it a few last stirs before cutting the heat, and presenting a swirling, glistening black potion for Snape. He nods and takes note before handing Camila her grade. Camila sees he gave her a perfect score, but she doesn't feel like celebrating.

Camila looks around and sees she's the only one left in the classroom. "What are you playing at, Professor?" Camila feels herself grow angry. "I've seen you wear a protective mask when you make potions like this. Why wouldn't you have us wear them?"

"Sometimes it's not just testing your potion-making skills, but your determination."

"That's rubbish." Camila shakes her head. "You're knowingly not taking enough precautions to protect us."