As Long as Your Happy

Mattie stood in the bathroom wheezing and coughing. Removing her hand from her mouth she saw the blue petals in her hand. Her eyes widened.
She coughed some more before looking at herself in the mirror. Tearing up a little she sighed heavily, throwing the petals into the trash can. She proceeded to wash her hands quickly and return to class.
Mattie stared out of the window next to her seat, as her eyes made their way to Kei Brooker, her crush. Her unrequited love. The cause of her Hanahaki. She stared at him, her eyes unwilling to move.
The sound of a familiar voice broke her out of her trance. “You should ask him out.” Mattie's best friend Seth said.
“I can’t do that!” Mattie’s eyes widened, and Seth gave her a quizzical look. “It would be too embarrassing.” Seth sighed grinning lightly.
He grabbed her hand and pulled her out of the hallway. “Come on, we're wasting our break away.” The pair got snacks and made their way to an open window outside Mattie’s classroom. The 15 year olds eyes wandered out the window, once again landing on Kei.
A moment later she felt a constricting pain in her chest and doubled over  coughing wildly. When the noise ceased there were a handful of petals and a few flowers with blood spatters in her hand. Her eyes looked panicked. She clenched her hand and brought her eyes up to look at Seth. “why didn’t you…”
Mattie stood up straight and sighed. “Seth, I'm sorry. I didn’t want you to worry.” she looked away.
Seth pulled her into a tight hug. “Don't be so stupid!” he shouted slightly. “ Of course I’m going to worry. You should have told me sooner.” his voice escalated into a whisper. He let Mattie go and then tried to enjoy the rest of their break. Though unknown to his friend, Seth had a plan forming in his mind.
When the bell signaled that they should go their separate ways, Seth spoke quickly, “by the way you’ve got a meeting after school in the garden.” he rushed off giving mattie no time to protest.
After school Mattie quickly collected her things and made her way out to the garden. She enjoyed her walk through the garden arriving at the place Seth told her to meet. She  saw Seth and Kei having a conversation together. Seth noticed her almost immediately and waved her over. “ Oh, hey M-Mattie.” Kei sputtered, trying to hide his blush. “Seth told me you had something to tell me.” he smiled at himself for keeping his voice calm.
Matties mouth hung open and she silently cursed Seth, shooting him a glare. Behind Kei Seth nodded in front of him and grinned before slipping away. Mattie inhaled silently. Gathering up aloof her courage and preparing herself for the possibility of rejection, she exhaled and spoke. “Well...Kei, I like you.”  her cheeks turned a shade of red from the embarrassment and she gripped her backpack straps tightly waiting for an answer.
“I like you too” came out as more of a mumble than actual words but Mattie was close enough to understand what he had said.
“ W-wait really?” the ravenette nodded, his inviting blue eyes showed no sign of lies. Mattie smiled, pleased with the situation. Kei grabbed her hand and pulled her to the entrance way of the garden.
“Come have dinner with me?” Mattie smiled giggling lightly.
“Yeah” she said and then headed off.
After setting up the two lovebirds, Seth made his way quickly home.he dropped his bag and rushed to the bathroom locking the door behind him. He looked at the mirror with tears and a heart broken smile decorated his face. He whipped them away not even realizing when he had started to begin with.
He hacked loudly, escalating into a coughing fit. An uncanny amount of Purple petals and flowers with splotches of blood sat in the sink. He looked back into the mirror, smiling as blood dribbled out of his mouth. He coughed more, continuously getting harder to breath.
He pulled his favorite picture of Mattie and him out of his jacket pocket, looking at it and cradled the picture. His breathing was reduced to mere gasps now. He fell to the floor still holding the picture tenderly. “As long as you're happy.” he mumbled, taking his last breaths.

This hanakai short, was inspired by When the Flowers Bloom by Dia on youtube. A link will be listed and I ask that you check it out. It is well put together and the inspiration of this story. Thank you for reading As Long as You’re Happy( a hanahaki short.) Thank you for your continued support and love.

                                -Kyra
https://youtu.be/7syiUR4jxYI