Chapter Four: Unwanted Answers

On the way back from the pool, we're in silence. The question he asked me caught me off guard. I have yet to answer it and it clearly made things awkward between us. We walk into the elevator and I lean against the wall, cross my legs, and begin to tap my toes against the tile flooring. The silence has to be the loudest I've heard, or haven't heard.

"What do you want to do for the rest of the day?" I couldn't keep quiet. I had to have a conversation.

"I don't know. Want to get some dinner?" He responds back while looking at the elevator number increase.

I look at my watch, "It's 6 pm." I say to him.

He finally turns towards me, "Why didn't you answer my question?" He starts, "I didn't do anything or say anything stupid, did I?"

"It's not that, it's just..." I stutter, "I've never gotten this far with anyone. Even though we're not officially together, whatever is happening between us is the closest I've gotten to a proper relationship." I admit while looking down.

Travis lifts my chin up with a finger and gazes into my eyes, "Okay, I understand. Let's take it slow."

I smile at him and I know I'm blushing, "Okay." I respond.

Admitting I haven't had a relationship like this was tough. Opening up to him usually comes easy to me. Admitting this was like telling someone they are my first love, which he isn't. I don't want him to think I'm just craving a relationship or that I'm lonely. I truly love this man. I see his flaws, I see his imperfections, and I accept them all. He is perfectly imperfect in my eyes.

The elevator dings and comes to a halt. Travis grabs my hand, turns around, and leads me towards his apartment. We walk in and we sit on the couch. He turns on his Xbox and asks me if I'm okay if he plays a couple of games. I tell him I don't mind and he starts up MLB. I grab my phone from the table and I open up "The Fault in Our Stars" from the Kindle app. I continue from where I left off. As I start to read I see that he hits a home run. I congratulate him.

"Are you into baseball?" He asks me surprised.

"I've been to a few Angel games and understand it a bit. I wouldn't really go out of my way to watch it, but I'd definitely go if the opportunity presented itself and I would definitely play because I enjoy taking my anger out on a ball and a bat." Say to him chuckling.

I turn off my phone and start watching him play. He puts his arm around me and I get close to him, laying my head on his shoulder. He takes his arm back and starts playing the game again. I look up at him and he's focused on the game. The face he has is emotionless and concentrated. I look into his greenish hazel eyes and it's like I can see my future. I feel like every day, hour, and second I am closer to being able to be called his and him mine.

He closes the application and opens Rocket League. It was surprising to know he played. "I didn't take you as a Rocket League type of guy," I say to him chuckling.

"Yeah. Do you play?" He asks looking at me.

"I used to. I'm a Fortnite nerd now." I say blushing and embarrassed as Fortnite is usually looked down upon and the players usually get shit for playing a supposed dead game.

"Oh cool. I tried to play but I couldn't get used to the building and people were too good." He replies.

"Oh yeah. If you start late with no one to show you the ropes it's hard to get a hang of it," I begin, "How about one of these days I teach you how to play and you can teach me how to play a game of your choice?" I ask.

"I'm down for that." He responds looking back at the screen as the game has started.

"Cool," I say smiling and laying my head back down on his shoulder.