𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

SEVEN

7

"IM SO SICK OF MYSELF"

"IM SICK... IM DYING, KENTO."

The words hung in the air, as Mieko slowly pulled her hand away from Nanami's, while he simply stared at her, wide eyed, shocked, heartbroken, and devastated.

"What... kind of sick?"
Nanami asked hesitantly, and when he realized Mieko had let go of his hand he quickly grabbed her hand back, holding it dearly, placing the back of his palm against his cheek, his subtle pricking Mieko's skin.

Taken back, she didn't answered, and simply furrowed her eyebrows, keeping eye contact with Nanami's brown orbs that seemed so lost in the moment,
"Answer me, damnit!"
He hollered loudly and bitterly, making Mieko wince before she slowly slumped back down in the passenger seat.

"The doctors... always give me a different diagnoses..."
Mieko lied.

"Like what!?"

"Cancer, heart problems, lung problems, they never seem to have a clear answer."
Mieko muttered, rubbing her arm in shame at herself.

"How the hell do doctors confuse a diagnosis like cancer with a heart problem!?"
Nanami lost his cool tone in that car, as he screamed at the girl beside him, and slammed his hand on the stair wheel, wishing for once she'd give him a damn answer.

"It's not my fault..."
Nanami stared at her with his jaw clenched, while his mind ran a thousand miles a minutes.

I'll just exorcize the damn thing here,
He thought to himself, as he continued his prolonged stare directly at the floating purple cursed energy orb that hovered above Mieko's shoulder. But quickly, as he went to reach for his blunt blade, he had calmed himself down and sighed heavily.

"At least, let me take you to a doctor I trust."
Nanami suggested, running a hand through his hair.

"It doesn't matter, they all just say the same thing."
Mieko sulked.

"This doctor is really good, I promise, he'll be able to help you out."

"...fine."

"ITS DEFINITELY THE THING

On her shoulder. It's constantly draining the life out of her, quite literally. It feeds on her emotions, the food she eats, the energy she consumes, everything she needs and brings into her body, it takes relatively sixty percent of it."

As the sorcerer doctor explained exactly, and truthfully, what was wrong with Mieko, Nanami listened half-heartedly. He stared at Mieko through the cracks of the doors that were parallel to each other, watching as she swung her legs that hung over the examination table she sat on.

"So... what's the diagnosis you want me to give her?"
The doctor asked Nanami causally, as the two were friends so formalities were not necessary.

"Is there anyway to kill it, probably slowly, besides exorcizing it?"
Nanami asked, sighed heavily, inhaling a shaky breath, and placed his head in his hands.

"I was going to suggest telling her she has a type of cancer and suggesting chemotherapy, as it would eventually kill it, but let's talk logistics here, Nanami."
The doctor continued,
"Mieko knows that thing is killing her. She sees it every single day, and allows it to feed off of her. She is a high grade sorcerer quite capable of killing it, if she wanted it dead. Even if I did diagnose her with cancer, she'd know it's a lie. And I'm guessing, after doing so many seasons of chemotherapy, that's if she doesn't catch on in the first place, eventually she'd realize we are trying to kill the cursed energy. Not to mention, chemotherapy might her kill her before the thing does, as she doesn't have active cancer cells, so chemo will just be killing all her good cells."

Nanami stayed silent.
"So no, Nanami. If you want Mieko to live, you'll have to accept the consequence of her being angry at you for exorcizing it. That or, you could get someone else to exorcise it and hope she never figures out it was your plan."

"Now... you gonna tell me why the damn thing so special to her?"
The doctor asked irritably.

"Afraid I can't. I'm not even supposed to know."

"Hey, Mieko."
Nanami said, after he cleared his throat loudly to disturb the awkward silence between the two, as they walked back to his car, Mieko walked in front of him, clearly angry.

"God damnit, Kento! I told you this would be the outcome."
Mieko growled angrily.

"Mieko. Close your eyes and turn around."
Nanami demanded sternly, making Mieko drop her bitchy-screwed up face suddenly.

"Why?"

"Just do it!"

Mieko exhaled slowly, closing her eyes while taking a deep breath, she turned around.

Nanami raised his blunt sword from out of his blazer, as he held it up to strike the cursed energy, though he shakily held the cursed weapon. He wondered how angry Mieko would be at him if he were to exorcize the special cursed energy. In that moment he decided he rather have her hate him, than have to attend her funeral.

He really did have plan to finally kill it, but as he went to slice it, Mieko coughed abruptly before she fell on her knees, continuing to cough while Nanami could see the blood dripping onto the pavement.

'God damnit. Not only does it make her sick, it also makes her sicker when someone tries to exorcize it...

...it won't be long before it becomes a cursed spirit. Then what?'

"Mieko?"
Nanami asked, concerned.

"God I wish I could've been a normal girl..."
Mieko laughed bitterly at herself, before she continued on her coughing that brought up blood.

A/N: hi! :) remember when I said I was hoping to keep this a short(er) story and have it around 12-14 chapters? Yeah that's not gonna happen lol. I'm still going to try and keep it in under 20, but it's just this story has become SO much more complex than when I first made it. Mieko wasn't even supposed to be a sorcerer, but I thought tying it into timeline where Nanami quits his stocks job and goes back to Jujutsu tech would be cool. And also at first, I had no idea what she looked like, but I'm currently drawing her so once it's finished I'll post it with a chapter :)

So, if you want to drop the story cause you were hoping for something shorter, I totally understand. But! I think it's gonna be cool! I'm excited to keep writing it! I actually lost my interest in writing for so long until I made this story! So if you keep reading, thank you so much!

Comments and feedback is always appreciated and wanted <3 I promise I read EVERY single comment on all my books hehe. <3 so let me know what you think so far.