SLEEPLESS NIGHTS.-- AFTER DARK.

You were everything I wasn't, everything I wanted to be. —completed

Bakugou Katsuki, the UA traitor. Oneshot. First draft.

(No ships— mild angst. Recommended in dark theme. Only the plot belongs to me. Enjoy.)

—9/9/2021.

Bakugou was ten when he realized that he was never going to be number one

He was ten when he realized he was never going to be special. Make a difference.

Bakugou was ten years old when he broke his dreams down.

He was jealous, jealous of a boy with freckle dusted cheeks and emerald green eyes. Even quirkless, this boy gave light to the world. He was so full of life and happiness, everyone adored him. Bakugou was sure that deku was going to be number one. Deku, not him. And he hated it.

So he decided to cover it all up with arrogance. Brushing back the nights he laid awake at night overthinking, or when he cried behind the scenes.

Bakugou grew up too fast. Too fast for anyone's good.

Bakugou blended into the background. Something he didn't want. He was vulnerable under the covers, under his sharp teeth and bandages.

--

"And well, I won't know unless I try." 

Bakugou snapped. Did he know how hard he'd worked to get where he was? Did he know about all of the late nights he'd spent studying for this? Did he realize how long he'd trained for this? all of the things he'd done to get this far?

There was no one standing in Bakugou's way, no one but Deku. He couldn't let deku get into--

"What d'ya mean unless you try?! Are you taking the test for fun?" Bakugou snarled. How could this crybaby ever be better than him? Bakugou has been— and he will always be, the best. Number one. Just like All Might.

(The best. The best. The—)

--

He grabbed Deku's dreams and crushed them, smiling. This felt good.

Deku was never going to be better than him. He made sure of it.

"Believe that you'll be born with a quirk in your next life," bakugou smiled, looking back at deku "and take a swan dive off the roof!"

He regretted everything from that day. He regretted the way his lungs choked up and he was being saved by the one he despised the most.

"You looked like you were asking for help," he said. As if that would make everything better. After all that he'd done-- Deku still stood strong. He couldn't take it.

Bakugou was sure of it. This was the child. Crybaby-- if you will, that was going to beat him.