Chapter 3: Ugly name

.
.
.
.

~♥~

Zira", Pam shook me, "are you even listening?"

I sighed and nodded.

"Yes. Yes Pam. I want to do this."

We were together in my small room as she tried to help me style my frizzy blonde hair.

A perfect bride cannot be late.
She definitely shouldn't look like crap either.

"I still almost cannot believe this is happening."

"Yeah. Me neither", I shrugged.

"Why would he even pay someone to get married to him?"

I picked up a hairpin from the dressing table and gave it to her. We'd been doing this since we were kids.

"It's all a charade, obviously. The marriage is a contract, he's faking it all."

"No wonder he kept his bride a secret. I'm guessing the plan is to put a show of a perfect wedding and then split up after. Aren't you scared about everything?"

"Not scared, just a little anxious."

I was scared to death.

"What if he finds out you're not the one? What if the real Rose shows up? You realize how much trouble you'll be in right?"

"Pam, enough with the questions", I moaned, they were draining me as well. I rolled my eyes, "I signed the papers, I was the one who got the money and since I won't be returning it, I just have to play the role. Be a wealthy bride for a few weeks, maybe. How hard could that be?"

"Fine", she groaned.

I chewed the insides of my cheeks.

"But..." I swallowed a lump in my throat, "I still don't get why Zaid would do all of these?"

"My biggest guess, he's doing what he has to do before his father finally hands over the family business to him. The Cortlands' story is a wild one, trust me Zira. I'm so scared that you're getting into it. You have a quarter of the money and it's more than enough for you and your cousin and Aida."

"Why get only a quarter when I could have all of it?" I asked with a small frown.

"Zira, thats-"

"Pam, I'll be fine", I sighed and rubbed her arm reassuringly, "just imagine how different all of our lives would be. We wouldn't have to do any of those stupid jobs anymore, no more running around the country, we'll get a house and live like two normal and happy girls. I could pay for Aida's surgery so she could walk again, heck everything would be so perfect."

Her eyes melted as she stared into mine. She exhaled loudly, "okay. You're in Zaid's game now. Just make sure you play it well."

"I'll bend over and kiss his feet if he wants me to. But I'm getting the rest of my money."

***

"You're late", he huffed the moment he opened the door and saw me. I walked in without a word, "I said be here by six."

I was barely twenty minutes late. This guy's face was always in a knot, he couldn't even smile to save his life.

"Sorry, something held me up", I turned my face away as I spoke.

I could feel his eyes on me, scanning me.

"What the fuck happened to your hair?"

My eyes went wide. How rude!