Chapter 4: Zira Lenin

~♥~

Whatever grandeur anyone could imagine in a mansion, the Cortland's residence exceeded all expectations. I tried not to gape as I stared outside the windows so I sat still and composed. I'd never seen such luxury and opulence my entire life!

The limo pulled up beside a fountain, just before the large steps that led to the entrance of the house.

Zaid looked at me and I stared back at him as if to say ’what now?’

“I have a few things to say before we go in there”, he began, “you're going to meet my mom, my dad, my two sisters, maybe a few cousins, and others, I really don't know. Whatever happens just smile and act like the fraud I'm paying you to be. The wedding's gonna happen at the garden, there'll be dinner later. I'll try my best to make sure it's nothing long and fancy. If there's a problem which I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be, you can lean in and whisper whatever it is to me.”

I gulped and nodded. I made a mental note of the cold way he said ‘dad’.

“Remember, the only thing they know is your name. You cannot fuck this up”, he stood up and adjusted his tie, “any questions?”

I asked the one thing that's been in my mind, “we don't have to spend the night together right? I mean…after the wedding, I get the rest of my money and walk away, right?”

He gave me that disdainful stare again. I was already getting used to it.

“My parents would insist we spend the night here”, he bit his lips, “together. In my room.”

I gulped nervously, “but you'd decline, right?”

“I'll try. Whatever happens, you get the rest of the money at the latest tomorrow morning and you disappear.”

I nodded and stood up, “okay, let's get this done with then.”

Then his phone rang and he scowled.
“What the hell does Elias want now?” He mumbled to himself.

When I held the name Elias, I panicked.
I pulled Zaid's hands immediately, “no, you can take his calls later, um, I-I'm sure it's nothing urgent.”

When he gave me that stare again, I quickly adjusted and pulled my hands away from him.

“Sorry. I mean, we might be keeping a lot of people waiting already, let's not give them reasons to wonder”, I searched his eyes as I spoke. Hopefully he didn't suspect anything.

He slid his phone in his pocket and stretched his hand to me, “let's go then?”

There was a wide smile on his face and I was shocked. I could've sworn that Zaid could never stop frowning. But then I remembered what this was and I played along.

An equally wide beam found its way to my face as I took his hand, “sure, husband.”

He held my hand and I almost shuddered at the warmth I felt. He even pulled me closer, “don't call me that, it's fucking outrageous. Try again.”

“How do you like darling?”

“Perfect.”

**

We were received by Zaid's parents in the entrance hall. His mother was beaming with smiles when she saw me, she was very kind. His dad was more suave and exclusive, I could see Zaid in him.
They welcomed us with hugs and pleasant words that in a way, lowered my fears. I was sure everything was going to turn out fine and easier than I thought.
Well, until Zaid excused himself to take a call when his phone wouldn't stop ringing.