5 Important Things to Know Before You Purchase a Hot Tub

Pulling the trigger and finally purchasing that hot tub you've been dreaming about is perhaps the best decision you can make

Pulling the trigger and finally purchasing that hot tub you've been dreaming about is perhaps the best decision you can make. Prior to choosing the best spa to fit your needs, there are a few things to consider, including placement of the hot tub in your yard, hot tub maintenance, and how to balance hot tub chemicals. Here are 5 things to keep in mind when making this excellent investment in your relaxation.

1. Determine Placement

Before you even begin pricing out a hot tub, it's a good idea to determine where you want to install it, as the placement of your hot tub will help you decide exactly what you need. Looking to install inside? Choose a room that is well equipped to withstand the extra moisture. Is an outdoor hot tub best for you? Find a spot in your yard with easy access to an electrical outlet, and keep your fingers crossed that it's got the best view on your property.

2. Design the Perfect Deck

If you've chosen an outdoor placement for your hot tub, it's time to design the perfect deck to accommodate the newest addition to your yard. deck design can be as simple or as customized as you want—just make sure the deck is strong and sturdy enough to hold the weight of your spa. Whether you're looking for a zen oasis, or a lively entertainment space, you can easily find a deck design to fit your needs.

3. Installation

Installation of a hot tub is really best left to a professional. To help make the process easier, there are a few things you can do. Make sure installers have a clear path to the location you want your hot tub installed, and make sure electrical lines are already in place, just waiting for the hot tub to arrive.

4. Balancing Chemicals

If you want a hot tub you can actually use, you need to maintain the right chemical balance in the water. Check chemicals prior to each use to make sure the pH levels and alkalinity are within the proper range—if they're off even the slightest bit, you can experience skin and eye irritation, and possibly become sick from the water. Keep a chemical guide close at hand to ensure you're caring for your hot tub properly.

5. How to Clean Your Hot Tub

The proper hot tub accessories, like a good cover and good filters, will help you keep your spa clean. Make sure you're cleaning your filters regularly, and consider changing the water in your hot tub about every one to four months, depending on how clean it is. When changing the water, take the time to wipe down the interior of your hot tub using mild dish soap and a sponge.

Get Soaking!

Now that you're confident in your knowledge, it's time to buy that hot tub!