3 Things You Can Do to Keep Your Hot Tub Safe

One of the top priorities for anyone with a hot tub in their backyard is safety

One of the top priorities for anyone with a hot tub in their backyard is safety. Are you taking the proper precautions to ensure your family and friends are safe in and around your hot tub? Here are 3 important things you need to know to be sure you are.

Install aSafety System

Installing a hot tub safety system is one of the strongest lines of defense you can take to protect children and animals from falling into your hot tub while unattended. A few of these systems include gates and covers.

Gates

If you decide a hot tub enclosure is the best option for your family, consider one much like the fences and gates installed to keep children away from pools. Choose a fence no shorter than four feet tall and with proper spacing between slats to ensure no one can slip between the openings and gain access to the hot tub area.

Covers andAlarms

Hot tub covers are recommended to protect your from the elements and keep it clean, but serve a dual purpose of keeping small children and pets out also. Choose a cover that securely locks into place to prevent the cover from being moved when latched. Alarms are also available that trigger when surface waves, immersion, or subsurface movements are detected.

MaintainSafe Water Temperatures

A hot tub is only enjoyable when the water temperature is kept at a comfortable level. Anything higher than 104 degrees F is considered dangerous for adults, and anything above 98 degrees F is unsafe for children. Even though most hot tubs are unable to maintain a temperature above 104 degrees F, it's wise to always check the thermometer before entering the water.

While pregnant women should probably avoid soaking in the hot tub altogether, it's recommended that they spend no more than 10 minutes in the water if they do go in, and that the water temperature should be no higher than 102 degrees F.

When toAvoid the Hot Tub

Children under the age of 5 shouldn't enter a hot tub, and kids under 10 should be limited in the amount of time they spend soaking in the hot water. In general, it's wise to make sure children take frequent breaks from the hot tub water and rehydrate to avoid overheating and becoming dehydrated.

People with or taking certain medications should also avoid the . If you have circulatory problems, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, or are on medications that make you sleepy, it's a good idea to consult your doctor prior to taking a soak in the hot tub.

Take theProper Precautions

Prior to purchasing your hot tub, consider the safety precautions you'd like to take, and purchase the necessary hot tub accessories to keep your family and friends safe.