the tree

Olivia is looking around in the classroom. Only 10 more minutes and she can go to the park, to the hole in the big old tree, to her diary.  she writes in it almost every day. She writes about everything that happens in her life, her darkest secrets, about... no, she can't think about it. She can not think about her. Olivia keeps breaking the promise to herself that she wouldn't think about it.

Olivia looks like a normal 17 years old christian girl from Brighton. She had long brown, curly hair and beautuful bright green eyes. She goes to church every sunday with her family: her parents and her older brother Toby. His full name is actually Tobias but he prefers Toby. Olivia also likes Liv more than her full name.

Suddenly she hears a loud ring and she snaps out of her daydreams about her. She starts taking her stuff and putting it in her backpack. "Miss Young, could you come here when you're done please. I want to talk with you about your grades.", the teacher says. Liv looks up and she can see Lucy, her best friend, quickly walk out of the room. Why did she seem so eager to leave? Olivia decides to shrug it off and goes to the teacher. 20 minutes later, after a whole speech about how distracted she is in the lessons and about how her grades are getting really bad, she can finally leave the room and go to the park. When she's on her way, she takes her IPod and starts listening to some music. She can hear love like woe of the ready set playing through the headphones. When she arrives at the park, she still has to walk a little while to get at the other side of the park where the big tree stands. The same tree where she used to play with Lucy. If that tree could see, it would've seen the 2 little girls laughing together here a lot. It would've seen the girl grow up. Would he have seen it coming? 'Cause Olivia absolutely didn't see it coming.

Now the tree almost never sees the girls together on the place that used to be their favorite spot. The last few months, Olivia goes alone. To write in her diary. She can't risk that her parents or Toby would find her diary, so that's why she hides it inside the tree. She can only imagine how her family would react. It would never be a good reaction. On her way to the tree, she sees 2 little boys pass by. They look really happy. I wish I was happy, Olivia thinks to herself. She looks to the ground and keeps on walking. She sees the path she walks on changing from little stones to slightly bigger stones. She knows the tree is only one turn away. She looks up when she passed the turn and she sees the tree. She smiles when she thinks about all the memories of the times that she and Lucy used to come here all the time. Liv misses those times. You probably recognise it. Missing the times you had no idea of what would come but you didn't mind. You had no idea about how the world really was. There were no problems, no worries. There were only tears for physical pain. There was no emotional pain.

Her smile disappear as soon as she sees someone standing there with the back to her. Liv may not see the face of the person, but she already knows who it is. She recognise the long, blonde, straight hair and the pink jacket. Lucy. On that moment, Lucy turns around ans she can see Olivia. Olivia's eyes are stuck on the little black book in lucy's hands. Her diary. It's open. Lucy knows everything.

Olivia wants to run away, but she can't move. She wants to cry, but the tear aren't coming. She wants to scream, but there won't come noise out of her mouth. Lucy slowly gets closer. "D-do you love m-me?", Lucy asks when she is only a few steps away from Liv. Lucy stutters. Olivia knows that this means Lucy is really nervous.

"You're my best friend" olivia answers when she finally found the courage to say something.

"You know I mean more than that, Liv. You know, the past weeks I was so worried about you. You weren't there even when you were standing right next to me. That's not normal for you. I wanted to come here to think. I suddenly remembered the hole we found in this tree. I remember how we used to hide our candy in there so our parents wouldn't find them." Lucy’s lips curl up in the form of a smile. She misses those times too.

"I looked and I found this little book. I thought it was just a notebook. I started reading and I recognised your handwriting. And I saw my name. I was worried about you so I kept reading." She stops talking. She takes a deep breath and continues.

“why did you never say what you feel for me?" Lucy is crying at this point. Even when she has tears running down her face, she is beautiful. "Because it is unnatural.", Olivia answers," and you would never feel the same way. It would make everything awkward." Liv looks at her feet and a tear falls from her eye on the ground. Lucy takes Olivia's chin between two fingers and tilts her head up so Olivia is forced to look in those beautiful bright blue eyes she fell in love with.   

"How can you know that?", Lucy asks in a whisper tone.  Before Olivia can even say something else, she can feel Lucy's lips on her own. They taste like tears, but they both couln't care less. It was perfect.  

"Why did you do that?", is the only thing Liv can say when Lucy's lips leave hers way too soon if you ask her.

"Because I love you too, Liv"