Prologue

Author's Note: This is my first try at writing this type of story; so please bear with me. I'm not an expert on the history behind werewolf culture and there's just so many different variations of it, so I decided to just try and create my own version of it!
I hope you enjoy it!!!
Xx -Maddy
_____________________________________________________________________________ "Count to ten, and then try to find me!" I squealed.

I start to run away from Alric as he started the counting for Hide and Go Seek. I started to run through the mob of pack members that came out to celebrate Alric and I's birthdays. For the daughter of a Beta and son of an Alpha to have been born on the same day is a pretty big deal. The both of us turning five was a cause for celebration. Our whole pack is gathered in the field behind our giant brick pack house. Since our fathers work together all of the time and our mothers have been friends since they were younger, it helped bring Alric and I closer together. We're best friends, and nothing can ever change that.

From my hiding spot by the stairs leading from the back door of the pack house down to the grey stone patio I try to wave to my father, but he looks angry and is having a heated conversation with our Alpha. Alpha Derek Masterson is a powerful yet very kind man. To all other packs he seems like a terrifying person, but to all the members of our own pack he's strict but extremely nice to everyone. Our pack, The Midnight Crest Pack, is highly respected. We're one of the five oldest and strongest packs in the country, and with the way my father and Alpha Derek are running things; it's going to stay that way. 

"Ten! Ready or not here I come!" Yelled Alric. 

Hearing his voice snapped me out of my thoughts, but I still can't help but wonder what my dad could be so worked up about. It must be important for him to talk to the Alpha with such a look on his face. Trying to brush the thought of it off from my mind I got up ready to go to a new hiding place farther away from Alric in an attempt to make being found impossibe for him. Although my efforts are somewhat pointless considering Alric has a hightened sense of smell being a werewolf and all. 

I get up from underneith the stairs and try to run into the woods to find my perfect hiding spot; until I hear my father's booming voice stop me in my tracks. 

"Elaina Celena Cullen", roared my father, "you are to not step foot any closer to those woods. That goes for all members of this pack." My father, Beta Drew Cullen, announced to all of the pack members standing in the field. 

"Why, daddy?" I ask, with confusion laced in my voice.

We were all werewolves. It's in our nature to go in the woods; it was what the Moon Goddess deamed natural for us to do. Everyone in our pack would walk in the woods everyday. From the age of 13, the time of our first shift, and up pack members would shit and run through the woods. There was even pack members at this very moment out in the woods on our pack's land boarders for daily patrolling. 

As soon as my father opened his mouth to answer my question, we all heard the answer before my father could even say a word. It was a low murderous growl that sent a chill down my spine. I could feel the fear building up in my body and the tension grow thick in the air. All we needed to hear was that one evil and threating sound for all hell to break loose. 

The rouges were here.

I ran towards my father who was now at my mother's side with his arms around her trying to protect her from everything that was happening. I only made two long strides until I felt razor shapr canines dig into my left ankle. I immedietly felt blood drip down my olive colored skin. I yelped in pain and blinked eyes trying to hold back the tears. 

"Elle, baby girl!" I heard my father yell.

I looked in the direction of his voice just in time to see him shift into a large jet black wolf. As soon as he started to run in my direction I saw two rouges come up behind him, chasing him. The wolf that was latched on to my ankle let go and stalked over to my father who was fighting off the two rouges that had caught up to him. Wolves were all over the place. You could easily tell which wolf was fihting on  which side. The rouges were all over the place with their tattered fur, trying to start a fight with everyone in my pack. As soon as the large wolf left me alone. I felt my mothers arms wrap around me. She picked me up and carried me to into the underground shelter. The shelter was built for emergencies like this, but we've never needed to use it until toay.