The Loss of Innocence

Inspired by real events; reader discretion is advised. Updated 17/3/2024

The Loss of Innocence

"I had no idea it would be like this."

Aldred looked around the house nervously, taking in the scope of the party that confronted him; although he'd only been there for a few minutes, he was just about ready to leave, his anxiety levels were peaking so bad.

"You knew how big it was gonna be," Allison said to him scornfully, managing to soften the rebuke with a supportive smile. While he was the anxious one, the logical one, she was the people-pleaser, the fun-lover. "Most of our year level are still in touch with each other, and so, here we are."

"Plus a few extras," Aldred conceded, scoping out the unfamiliar faces; he was still privately grateful that Jason was hosting the party – after all, he was the only one with a property big enough to accommodate more than sixty drunken university students, and Jason was certainly used to catering for large gatherings. "I mean, my place is big, but fucking hell..."

Jason's estate – at least, his parent's estate – was a sprawling mansion on the eastern fringes of Melbourne, and had been the focal point for social gathering for those at Wesley College since he'd arrived at the school in Year 10. Never lacking booze, drugs, or sex, they eclipsed just about any other social engagement Aldred knew or imagine.

Which is why I always try to go. Although they now attended different universities, Jason kept inviting all his school friends to whatever soiree's he had organized – and being the sociable creature that he was, they happened frequently. I may not have as much fun as everyone else, but at least I can say veni, vidi, vici.

Or at least, come close enough, another voice corrected silently, and Aldred brushed the thought aside. The worst part about having anxiety was not the frequent bouts of near-panic he experienced, it was the constant second-guessing of just about everything – what he said or thought, or what other people said or thought.

Just have a good time, the rational part of his mind demanded, and Aldred decided to listen to it. For a change.

"I wonder where Jason is."

"The pool," Allison said confidently, fanning herself with her shirt as she looked around, no doubt looking for her girlfriends. Despite the sun having set nearly two hours earlier, the late November night was still a balmy 25, and the noise coming from the backyard belied the pool-decks popularity. "He always ends up in there."

"At least the weather suits it tonight. Not like that Christmas in July thing he had... it was almost snowing here, and that pool was packed."

"It's heated, stupid," Allison laughed, her hips already gyrating to the pounding beats that were blasting out of the speakers strewn throughout the house. "I'd suggest you join in, but, well, it'd be crowded... especially since we're the last ones here."

"Not my fault you take forever to get ready," Aldred sniffed derisively, even as he sized Allison up – although she'd arrived in a form-fitting scarlet dress, he knew that she'd packed a bikini in her bag, and that she'd get into it at the first opportunity. "And like I'd wanna be surrounded by all those fawning nymphs. Priya practically launched herself at me last time. I had to sign up to the MeToo movement."

"Oh... you poor, poor man." Allison snorted. Priya was, undoubtably, a very beautiful young woman – she just wasn't the gender Aldred preferred. "I bet if Shaun was in there you'd brave it."