Chapter One

I ran I brush through my hair for the thirtieth time this morning. It was my first day at Hopespeak, the most anxiety inducing day of my life. I'd be attending as the ultimate gamer, but gaming was just my hobby. Almost everyone else had career-related ultimates. I didn't actually know that as a fact, but it seemed like a reasonable assumption. I was wearing my school uniform, but decided to throw on my own green jacket for comfort. I knew I was close to being late, so I finally slipped on my shoes and headed towards the bus stop.

By the time I arrived, there were a few other people waiting together, all talking. I took a seat at the far end of the bench and tried to calm my nerves. I didn't fell like talking to anyone right now, but they must've all assumed I was lonely, because they tried to include me in their conversation.

"Hey there, you waiting for the bus too?" I guy with brown hair said.

"Yeah," I responded.

"Cool, us too." 

I would've assumed, considering this was a bus stop and we were all wearing uniforms, but I guess they were just being polite.

"So," a different girl spoke up. "What's your name?"

"I'm Chiaki Nanami."

"No way! The ultimate gamer?"

"Yeah."

"Woah! That's so cool! We're all in the reserve course."

"The reserve course sounds cool," I said. "You have to be really good to get in." I wasn't fond of all the attention I was receiving right now. Luckily, the bus pulled up. I stood up off the bench and followed the group into the bus. It was already somewhat full, so I took a seat with the brown haired guy.

"I think I forgot to introduce myself. I'm Hajime Hinata."

"Cool." I was tired and dreading school, so I didn't care much.

"Excited for school?"

"Mostly nervous."

"Yeah? Same, honestly."

I smiled, he was nice.
We spent the rest of the ride in silence, as I pictured what the day would likely look like.
The bus pulled up at school, so I grabbed my bag and walked slowly off the bus. This was overwhelming. I waved goodbye to Hajime and went to find my class. When I got to the doorway I froze. Everything happening was a mess.

A paper airplane flew over my head, and Ibuki Mioda, who I recognized from TV, went chasing after it, pushing me out of the way.

"Ibuki! You pushed a poor girl!" A pretty blonde girl ran to me. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good," I looked up to see Sonia Nevermind, an actual princess take hold of my hand.

"Great! You should come inside!"

A pink haired guy smirked at her, "Repeat that?"

"I said 'Great-'"

"Shut up, Kaz!" Ibuki came back in, shoving him.

"Oww!"

Sonia ignored this and smiled at me, "Look, there's still an empty spot next to me!"

"O-okay," I placed my bag next to the desk in the second row, and looked to the desk on the other side of me, "Who sits there?"

Sonia looked over, "I believe that is Gundham Tanaka!"

I heard a low voice behind me, "Indeed it is."

I turned around, "So you're Gundham?"

"Beware mortal, don't say the name so freely."

Sonia sighed, "Isn't he cool?"

"Um, sure."

"Oh no! I don't recall ever asking your name! Please forgive me!"

"It's fine, I'm Chiaki Nanami, the ultimate gamer."

"That's such a pretty name!"

The rest of the day went surprisingly well. Sonia stuck by my side, and Gundham wasn't too bad, just slightly annoying at times. At the end of the day, I hopped onto my bus, and sat alone at the back until Hajime came and sat with me.

"Hey Chiaki! Did you have a good day?"

"Yeah, actually. I made new friends."

"That's good, mine was fine too."

"That's good."

"Yeah."