Part 1: meeting Sano Manjiro

Warnings: mentions of blood, decisions you shouldn't make IRL, this is fiction

You should have known better

You should have known better. That is what you keep telling yourself as you walk across the busy streets of Tokyo's nightlife. Drunk people are stumbling here and there; some are trying to get home while others are looking for another place to keep their night going.

As always, you couldn't say no to someone in need, and your boss had his daughter's birthday today, so you offered to stay and close the restaurant after everyone was gone. You had to check inventory, earnings of the day, wait for some delivery, and then restock. When you finished everything, it was past midnight. No subway lines, so that meant you had to take a taxi.

So that is where you are now, phone dead and unable to call a cab, in the streets of a buzzing Tokyo night.

Not even one taxi had the available sign turned on. You were beginning to worry. But all your worries were thrown out of the window when you saw a white-haired man bleeding and about to get hit by a vehicle. Your body moved on its own. You tackled the man before the car could hit him. He must have been in pretty bad shape because as soon you both hit the ground, he passed out.

Fantastic, you thought. Giving him a better inspection, you saw a tattoo on the back of his neck and noticed that from some part of his middle section, the blood kept flowing, and that couldn't be a good sign either. You didn't even know where the wound was! A panicking side of you was about to take over.

"No, no, no, no. Breathe! He needs help," you said to none in particular but yourself.

Your rational side was telling you to dump him there or leave him at a hospital, but sometimes you took the dumbest choices. In your defense, the wound and the tattoo screamed gang, yakuza, a crime syndicate! And you didn't want anyone hunting you for selling one of those guys to the authorities, or that is what you told yourself.

You don't know why exactly, but there was some kind of pull that convinced you to help him.

God knows where you had the strength to lift him, and it looks like luck was on your side since not a second later, you hailed a taxi and gave the driver your address.