Tiny Dancer (A Grant Gustin Fanfiction)

The music was switched on, and I forgot everything. I always did, when the music came on. It was like I wasn't even a person, more of a spirit. The only thing that reminded me was his soft touch, the way he held me. I wasn't even thinking about the movements I made, I just made them. The only things I was aware of were his breath and his aftershave. He held out his arm and I was spinning, violently, until the same pair of arms caught me again, and again, I was safe. We were dancing, normally, to the beat of the music, there were people in the room, there must have been, this was a dance class. But their eyes weren't watching us, or if they were, it didn't concern me. I felt myself dipping backwards, then forwards, not thinking, just doing. The music slowed down, it was ending. I focused on the face in front of me: the chiselled features, the sharp blue eyes and the perfect golden hair, golden brown, caramel almost. And in that moment, in every moment, I loved him so much. Grant Gustin. My dance partner, he had been for years, but he was so much more than that. He was so purely talented. And in the dance, he was mine, all mine, only mine. Then the song paused, the music faded. Echoing silence. Grant's warm arms fell from mine, and I stepped away. It was all over, for another week. The class faded away, clattering noises of bags and reality. I walked away, trying to fight the sadness, putting on my jacket. Coffee was in order. Hot, steaming coffee that would burn away the numbing disappointment. Then I felt a warm touch, that made my skin tingle. Only one person owned the fingers with that capability.

"Do you want to get some coffee?" Grant's husky voice asked. I could see by his shadow that he was leaning over me.

"Sure, um, yeah?" I fumbled over words. Grant was asking me for coffee. Even in his dancing, I found him confusing, complicated, elusive and beautiful. He leant out his arm, laughing.

"You do know that going for coffee actually involves moving." he chuckled. "Not something I thought you had any trouble with."

I blushed violently. I'd just been standing there, Grant must have thought I was crazy. Without music, I had no confidence. Music defined me, and without it I was ordinary. Music is what led to Grant and I finding our way through the LA crowds to a coffee shop.

"So" he broke what wasn't really an awkward silence, we never really talked because music spoke for us when we were dancing. "You've got the beat, like really got the beat."

I was surprised. "You think I'm good?" I hoped like mad that it didn't sound like I was compliment searching, I wasn't.

"Good? You're the most talented dancer in that whole class, actually the most talented one I've ever met, Skylar."

I felt myself turning hot. Grant really thought this of me? I'd always thought it was just him doing the work. Then he interrupted my thoughts for a second time.

"What's your secret?" he whispered.

"I don't have one" I answered in honesty. "I don't think, I just move. I let the music move me. If you're expecting anything from me based on my dancing, I expect you'll be disappointed."

We'd reached the coffee shop when Grant threw his head back in laughter at me. "Really, I don't have expectations, I just know you have a lot of talent."

"You need to stop making me blush, Gustin." I cursed myself. Why was I allowing myself to act so comfortably around my gorgeous dancing partner. But Grant had a very good sense of humour, he'd already made that incredibly clear.

"Last name calling, huh?" He elbowed me softly, but it was so gentle. "Feisty."

I smiled. "I can be."

The response was met with a chuckle, then he asked me what coffee I'd like. I hadn't even realised we were at the counter. I really was out of it today.

"Not really a coffee person. Hot chocolate, please." I asked the woman at the counter, and made to get my money out, but Grant covered my hand with his own, larger one.

"I'm paying. My treat."

Ignoring the fact that sparks were flying everywhere, all around my body, I turned to him in defiance. "No."

He flashed a charming smile at the woman. "Take this, please. Keep the change."