marbles.

*contains spoilers for episode 6 of squid game, please click away if you do not want spoilers*

"ali, pair with me."
sang woo asked ali while holding out his hand. if ali agreed, they would be partners for the next game. gi hun stood there, suddenly feeling like the biggest third-wheeler ever. ali must have heard gi hun wanting to pair up with sang woo and looked up at him with doubt, scared he might hurt his feelings.
gi hun quickly waved, showing that he was okay with them being partners,even if deep down he wasn't. he assured them he was fine before moving around the room to see who still didn't have a partner.
after a while, he still couldn't find anyone. everyone was pairing up so quickly, he was scared that he was going to be left out. he didn't know what was going to happen if he was left out, most probably he would be eliminated. he panicked. if someone didn't stop him, he would probably go around the room begging to be partners. yeah, he is that desperate.
then, this dude pulls him aside. "look, I'm a maths teacher and in the morning i play soccer so I'm fit. let's pair up."
he was contemplating it when a familiar voice rang behind gi hun. "he's mine."
gi hun knew the voice all too well. it was sang woo. hearing him phrase it like that made his face turn beet red. noticing gi hun's reaction, sang woo quickly added,"I mean my partner for the game."
the dude gave him a death glare but walked away quickly,desperate to find a partner and knew he did not have time to fight.
gi hun realised he won't have a partner at this rate. he glared at sang woo. "are you trying to get me killed? I won't have a partner because of you," gi hun grumbled. he could've argued with sang woo but he took a glance at the time. seeing there was not much time left, he took off, wanting to find the math teacher dude.
suddenly, he felt sang woo grabbing his wrist, forcing gi hun to face him. "didn't I say we are partners?"
"aren't you partners with ali?" gi hun raised his eyebrows. sang woo shrugged and replied,"I told him I wanted to partner with you. he understood and partnered up with <that religious guy that I forgot his name>."
gi hun refused to look at sang woo's face. "why? don't you think he is better? don't you like him more? you should go pair up with him now. he's going to help you win, I'll only pull you down."
"damn it, gi hun. why do you ask questions like this in such a critical moment. just shake my hand already." gi hun knew that sang woo should pair up with ali, since he is the most obvious choice, so he refused.
gi hun could feel the rage seething out of him. sang woo pinned him against the wall and kissed him. it was sweet yet rough, familiar yet they both didnt dare to go further. sang woo took the opportunity and slipped his hand into his, shaking his hand.
"there." sang woo said breathlessly. gi hun blushed hard as he avoided sang woo's gaze once again.
the time was up. everyone was paired except the crazy haired lady. the guards led them to the location. throughout, sang woo never let go of gi hun's hand. it felt surreal and familiar at the same time for both of them, like they were meant to do this but butterflies still didn't leave their stomach. gi hun was blushing furiously while sang woo was trying to keep his cool.
however, when they heard the game rules, their stomach dropped to the bottom. "there's...there's no way..." gi hun let out a dry chuckle. sang woo slowly slipped his hand out. tears welled up in both their eyes. one of them was bound to get eliminated. sang woo insisted they play.
after a few rounds, gi hun almost won all the marbles, leaving sang woo with one. sang woo gritted his teeth. "you're cheating, you're definitely cheating." sang woo kept muttering.
"why would I cheat?" gi hun's voice snapped him out of his terrace. sang woo looked up at his big, brown (?) eyes, knowing that he would never do something like that. "I've come to far to die...and what's going to happen to my mum... i-..." sang woo chocks back a sob.
gi hun stared at him helplessly. the time was ticking. he felt conflicted. he loved sang woo but he couldn't die here, leaving his daughter and mother in the outside world. he slowly embraced sang woo in a hug, not knowing how else to comfort him. the time slowly ticked by, but all they cared about was each other. the time was up. They could hear the gun cocking behind when sang woo finally croaks,"wait, this wouldn't be a fair game would it?"
the guy in the pink suit hesitated. "it won't be a fair game because you eliminate us just because we didn't finish on time. isn't your game supposed to be fair?" sang woo desperately ranted on, trying to buy them more time. after a few secco days of pin-drop silence, the man finally pulled out his walkie-talkie. they were communicating with another person. after a while, they finally were being led to another area of the map. throughout the walk there, sang woo and gi hun held hands again, knowing that this could be the last time they would. their grip became tighter at the thought of it.
when they reached, they saw the couple who refused to be separated. sang woo kissed gi hun's knuckles before letting go. after a painful 10 minutes, the couple got eliminated. they died, holding each other. tears streaked gi hun's face. it was one thing to see people get killed in an dark organisation, it was another to lead them to their death.
on the way back, the only noise that could be heard was gi hun's sobs.
"pull yourself together. it's not the first time you saw someone die," sang woo grumbled. gi hun tried to sniffle back his sobs but it didn't work. "oh for god's sake," sang woo sighed.
he stopped everyone and pulled gi hun into a kiss. it seemed to stun him for a bit. sang woo seemed like he wanted to keep moving ( and the guy ig but who cares about him ) but gi hun grabs his wrist.
"if eliminating me means that you are closer to the 45.6 billion, why didn't you try to win?" he asked.
there was deadly silence.
"because you're more important than 45.6 billion."

a/n heyyyy. if you know me from my previous fanfics( HEY BESTIEEE ) you know it's significantly better hahaha. anyways, if I see even one comment about how sang woo only cared about money and will not hesitate to kill gi hun, I.will.flip. ( like I don't already know that, this fanfic is especially to escape from the actual ending ) the next one-shot will probably be about best boy ali ( because who doesn't like him? ) and sang hun ( yes I gave them a ship name <3 )