Dear Zayn (A letter from Eric Thorn)

Dear Zayn,

As one former pop-star to another, I wanted to send you a few words of support. We've only met in passing a few times, but I probably understand better than anyone what you're going through. You said in your official farewell statement:

“I am leaving because I want to be a normal 22-year-old who is able to relax and have some private time out of the spotlight.” - Posted 3/25/15 on the One Direction Facebook page

I could have written those words myself. The grueling schedule and total lack of privacy get to all of us – some more than others. I hope you find the peace that you are seeking. In my own experience, it’s a bit of a rollercoaster once you walk away. At first, the relief is overwhelming, but it comes with another side as well. There’s a sense of deflation afterward that I never expected. I wouldn’t say I miss the spotlight, but I wonder if anything will ever give me the same adrenaline rush that comes from standing on a stage in front of 50,000 screaming fans.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll go back to it one day. Maybe you will, too. If I’ve learned anything from my experiences so far, it’s that life is unpredictable. You never know what twists and turns lie just around the bend….

I don’t say that to hold out false hope to your fans (or to mine either, for that matter). My girlfriend, Tessa, has helped me gain some perspective on how the fans must feel. They've never met you, but to many of them, you’re a part of their daily life. The sense of loss feels almost like a death, and there’s a mourning process that everyone must go through.

Tessa taught me about the Five Stages of Grief. Maybe you already know about them (if not, there’s always Wikipedia). These are the steps that a lot of people go through when dealing with a loss:

1) Denial

2) Anger

3) Bargaining

4) Depression

5) Acceptance

My fans on Twitter displayed a ton of denial and anger in the days following my “death.” I’m seeing the same thing in the 1D fandom now. People tweeting that they don't believe you're really gone.... Maybe you're only joking... Others tweeting hate at you, your management, the media, and even the other fans for causing you to make this choice.

It’s difficult to watch, I know. I couldn’t help feeling guilty for causing pain to so many people. Please know that this is normal mourning. Everyone works through grief at their own pace, but they will come to acceptance eventually.

And Zayn, don't forget that this is a loss for you as well. A big part of your life is over, for better or for worse. If you’re grieving a bit yourself, please give yourself time to heal. You will come to acceptance soon, I promise.

Be well, my friend.

Sincerely,

Eric Thorn

A/N: Eric Thorn is the fictional main character of the novel Follow Me Back by @adam_and_jane.  Look for Follow Me Back on Wattpad to read the complete story of Eric, a celeb who hated fame, and Tessa, the fan who saved him.

Please share this letter with anyone you know who may be struggling.