The mysterious prologue

"They sent a letter today. They're not going to be allied with us anymore."

Niles felt like ripping Allen in half with his talons. The crow must have noticed his stare, since he added quickly--"Not war, just... splitting up. We'll have to fend for ourselves."

"We only have the fort, then. We can't fight them to keep our home."

"But Niles--"

The golden eagle sharply jerked his head to the opposite direction. Allen knew enough about his friend to tell he won't change his mind.

Niles sighed, his head still turned away. "Tell the others," He said. "To move out. Don't let them resist." Allen nodded and wadded through the now deep snow and took flight when he reached the ravine.

* * *

"Their little snow fort? We're going to live in the place Paz and Ala make when they were younger? Who ever made you leader, anyways?" The complaints seemed to be ever-lasting. Nile's head throbbed just to listen. Suddenly, someone raised their voice over the din, the words that would change their small village forever.

"I'm not staying here. I'll be going to live with them."

Eric the capybara slowly twisted his body and walked but to their old home. The herd of mix-matched animals around him silenced immediately.

Then more than half of the crowd did the same. Niles saw with a pang of sadness his friend since he was an eaglet walking through the snow. He watched her beautiful quilled tail draw lines on the white powder, wondering if she would look back.

Niles looked back at the animals still standing around him. Ala gave him a sad smile, slithering toward, her dark green leg warmer gliding swiftly over the snow. Even though her hat hid her eerie yellow eyes, he somehow understood her expression.

Things will get better soon.