Chapter 1

Do you ever think of your life? As shit, even? Yeah, that's me right now. With a magical disguise and a hell lot of heavy weapons on me, I'm fighting for my life. 

Who knew this would've been this hard. Traveling two courts to visit someone who might not even want me there, I'm putting too much of an effort.

The mountains – the name I forgot – behind the dawn court are steep. And when I say steep, I really mean I had gone to the brink of death about a dozen times. 

From where I'm dangling, I can see I have to pass two and a small mountain to cross this hellfire of a place. No wonder I can't see anyone here.

Thanks to my utter idiocy, I decided to move in the depth of winter. As if I have a death wish. Ha!

I pull myself up from the edge of the rock I'm holding onto and swing a leg to reduce the pressure from under my fingers.

When I'm up, steady and healthy, I take a moment to adjust my bag and the thick clothes. While I'm debating on whether to throw my clothes and just make a run for it, I hear a loud whistle from... somewhere. 

I look up, trying to figure out what hell is the Mother going to make me go through again when I see the angry whirl of dust and snow. A storm's brewing.

I need to hurry.

I wiggle my toes in the ginormous shoes and prepare myself to run. I need to do this.

Picking up my pace, I run as fast as the heavy white snow lets me.

#####

With two breaks in-between, I manage to pass the storm. Barely, but you get me.

I spend two days in the dawn court, relax my feet and muscles and then move for the Day court. 

According to the map I have, between Day and Night, there are mountains again, but they aren't as dramatic as the Winter court's mountains.

When I'm in the day court, I try to make most of it and avoid the High Lord.

 With my heavy clothes exchanged for some leathers, shoes exchanged with combat ones, I set foot in the mountains with s sigh. I have to do this. Again

After three days or so, I pass the mountains – barely – and thank the cauldron. And if that little bitch does not invite me with open arms, I'm gonna kick him in the guts. Sorry, not sorry.

What I see in front of me is a two-way passage; One that leads to a place called the prison, and one to a place called Velaris – according to the map – and I sure as hell don't want to go anywhere that's called a Prison, so to the left.

Somewhere along the way, my feet start hurting again. I swear if this place doesn't have warm bread, I'm gonna chop someone's head off.

After dragging myself for about three hours, I see the light sketching of some buildings. And those buildings serve as water in a desert for me. 

I decided to find somewhere to rest my feet and renew my energy when I see a small hut-type house built on a hill. Narrowing my eyes, I realize how suspicious it would be if that hut was out of the magical boundary but near enough to have proper sight of the city. 

With a shrug, I dismiss the thought, thinking it's my brother's business and not mine.

After a small nap, I set to work again. 

When I'm about a mile away from the city gates, I sense the slight heaviness in the atmosphere, with a tinge of salt and spice. 

Magic. 

I have this uncanny ability to sense magic with physical change.

I guess my brother is quite the intelligent one. It feels like a pretty heavy spell, but I'm no threat, so...

I shrug my shoulder and move in. The boundary probably sends a magical message to the high lord. I hope they're interested enough to come to pick me because my willpower is draining like water in a sewer.

Upon noticing me, the guards at the gate startle. I salute – mockingly, of course – and act like I'm on a business trip.

"I'm here to deliver a personal message to the Truth-Teller, Morrigan." I don't know if they see something threatening in me or they have a mind-linked message or something but they ask me to wait for their senior.

In a minute, I'm face to face with some dude with wings who I assume is the senior of the group. 

"May I ask what a Winter-Courtian is doing in our court?"

With a sly smile, I answer him, "Maybe you're ignorant to the little fact that my High Lady is best friends with your Truth-Teller? Or are you simply daft?" I mentally pat my back for the jab.

With a single deep breath through his nose, he beckons me to follow and turns. I move gracefully enough to feel confident while surrounded by winged men.

As we walk through the city, I notice the friendly people and the warm atmosphere of the city. Along with the aroma of warm hot chocolate and coffee, I can see the elderly gossiping, the childer playing. I think I spot at least two couples licking each other's mouths. That set off a shudder. I'm no romantic, you could say.

By the edge of the city, I also spot the sea. I don't know how I missed the sight before but it takes my breath away the moment I set sight on it. 

"Now, I have orders to drop you off at the House of Wind. So hold on." With a grunt from me, he picks me up, with a hand around my shoulders and one under my legs, and takes off. I try not to panic and fail. My breathing speed increases each second I'm higher. I shut my eyes tighter than ever and only peek when I feel the wind's clawing softens into a gentle caress – ever the poet. I try not to let the huge double doors intimidate me and step out of the winged dude. I turn to him and beckon him to go back to his den, but he insists on knocking for me and leaves after that. 

I straighten up when I hear the klick-klack of high heels hitting tiles and hold my breath.

The double doors open so slow they drive my mind crazy.

My breath loosens when I see an entirely too beautiful woman. According to my information, there is supposed to be one woman I don't know in this house. 

Ladies and gentlemen, behold the High Lady of the Night Court, Feyre Archeon, aka, my sister-in-law. 

I swallow.