The Soul In-Between

This is my first KongArt week entry for this week. Look out for the other 6 (If I finish them!) and for other people's works. You can follow the hashtag on Twitter #KongArtWeek2021

It was like a tugging at his waist as he tried to turn and leave the hall. Pulling at him, dragging him further backwards for every step out he tried to make.

It was so strong that Kongpob even went so far as to look around the hall as if it was possible that there might be a rope or something holding him in place.

Of course there wasn't.

Just an angry looking Head Hazer, staring at him with those fierce, hooded eyes that seemed like they could easily burn through his skin and rearrange his insides in an instant.

Kongpob shivered under his glare and then twisted again to exit the hall..

..and once more the tugging feeling kept him in place, gluing him to the spot.

He strained against it, but couldn't budge his feet as it held him still. For a second he imagined himself taking up residence right here in this spot; everyone arriving the next day to see him sitting there forlornly, waiting for the next hazing session to begin.

Of course, that was ridiculous. If he stayed, then his senior would need to stay too.

Because, after a second, truly, everyone in the world would recognise this feeling. Worldwide, everyone had been educated to know that this tugging feeling on his skin and inside his body was the beginning of everything. Everything new and fresh and exciting. Everything that is now Kongpob's new beginning.

The beginning of love. The beginning of his future and a lifetime of love.

But of course, because Kongpob's luck is never the best, all of the TV shows and school assemblies and talks with his parents hadn't ever mentioned what would happen when the person he was destined for didn't immediately open their arms and sweep him off his feet like is usually shown in the information videos.

Nothing had prepared Kongpob for this awkward, uncomfortable itching under his skin. For the piercing glare being shot across the room at him and that is stripping him slowly of his very self.

Of course, Kongpob's destined soulmate has to be his complete opposite, someone he has utterly angered and made to hate him in the space of one short hazing session.

He stares at him, heart thudding painfully in his chest.

His soulmate does not feel pleased to see him.

So, what is he supposed to do now?

Mustering all his courage, Kongpob lifts his head to meet the dark eyes of his senior, P'Arthit.

For a second they stare, neither of them moving or speaking or even breathing. Two figures locked together now in a silent freeze frame. Soon to be locked together as soulmates and partners for life. Well.. hopefully...

As Arthit continues to stare at him, Kongpob feels like he's being stripped bare, like his senior and destined soulmate can see under his plain white shirt. Like he can see Kongpob's heart beating furiously where it thumps inside his chest. Can see his hidden secrets and buried desires.

Kongpob's just gathering his courage to open his mouth and say something.. anything really to break the awkward silence.. when Arthit's scowl deepens and he brings a hand up to scrape over his cheeks, worry and annoyance in his expression.

"Right.." he says, his voice much quieter than before when he had been yelling at Kongpob and all the other freshmen from the stage, "This is a bloody complication I didn't expect."