The typical question: What if?

We both did try...

We just love differently...

"Would it make any difference if I stopped him from leaving?"

"Would it make any difference if I stopped her from leaving?"

" I wonder..." They spoke in their heads.

The ticking of the clock becomes louder as the night runs deep, swallowing everything in sight. Buried face in arms and pillow; afraid of being seen with their emotions written all over their faces despite being on one's own.

The silence is deafening... Just the breathing of two people in different places, and the clock competing on who can speak louder.

A hic would trigger a break of silence from time to time, every 2 seconds, every 3 seconds, even at 1.

"I wish to go back..."

In sync; they mumble...

The silence continued with the only sound of a clock ticking...

"I saw her standing in front of me..."

"He is right in front of me..."

Trying to find the words between them is like looking for the differences between A and A... Confusing yet clearly there is no right answer.

Going against the ticking of the clock; resonating beat that occupied the entire surrounding.

"Please, let him/her not hear it"

They spoke with no sound.

"How can a small part of me can do so much and reveal so much?"

He asked as if he discovered something new about the function of the heart as if no one else did.

The words didn't do any good.

But their eyes are speaking with amazement.

Disregarding every reason to contrive questions, they fail to make reasons for how and why.

Not looking anywhere else, but the contagious smile their eyes are making.

Expressing everything with only gazes, heartbeats, and relieved sighs.

Offering his hand as though asking her for a special dance in a grand ball that he had prepared only for her... Instead, he pulled her close... slightly bumped his head against hers.

"Sorry..."

The first word he utters. The silence was completely shattered, echoing like an antique glass jar they had been taking care of for a very long period of time.

She began to think where to place his word.

Amidst her chaotic mind, he pressed his lips against her lips. She finally understood then what his words meant. Suddenly, her head full of questions went blank, recalling a white as snow canvas.

Forming a smile cheek to cheek as if he's teasing.

She didn't mind but gave him a surprised look.

Suddenly, the air feels colorful, they can see as it travels with their laughter as its vessel. Every corner seems full of mixed emotions.

The clock never stops ticking. 

Tick-tock...

Seconds have passed, minutes have gone by, hours have returned to the way it was before.

Halfway awake, they feel the consciousness battling its way back to reality; knocking on the front door twain with the pendulum doorbell-like sound.

Once again, they both did try. Keeping their eyes shut as they felt the coldness of the cushion where they hadn't been laid for a long while, as well as the smile that was formed.

Time's up...

Opening their eyes as it comes with deep regret. The tears didn't wait nor it was impatient, it fell normally the same as breathing.

Without questioning anything, the sweet fragrance of Laughter turned into a bitter frown.

They wondered 

'what if...'

They got the answer.