I : Nightmare

Walk down, keep going. Her lathered shoes tapped on the floor, full of dust and germs from the souls of others feet. So many doors going down the off-white hallway. Which one would be her exit? Which, maybe, even her demise? Nonetheless, she continued, gripping a key that made her hands smell of coins once she tried to let go. She stuck it in the locks, none opened.

Until the last door came to view. It was red velvet. She reached out to touch it, taking the golden, shimmering key and sliding it in perfectly. One turn, let go. The knob turned but, instead, the door shot open and slammed the thin wall that it stood next to. A dark void. And hands were reaching for something. For her.

.
.
.

         I flinched awake and caught myself from falling off of my over-sized queen bed. The blaring alarm and the hair in my face didn't help at all. Tired, I gripped the blanket with my hand hard and hulled myself back into the comfort of my blankets and pillows. I took a deep breath and wiped the sweat that formed on my forehead onto the back of my palm. The alarms beeping was soon shut off with me laying back down once more, but it began reading the same old script it has since I've ever gotten it.

"It is Sunday, November 5th, 4013. Weather of 30⁰ is imminent. 10% precipitation."

A knock was heard on my bedroom door a few minutes after.

"May, are you up? I heard your alarm from my room.."

Elizabeth's voice broke in, opening the tall door. My head popped up from the pillows and I sat up to stretch, a couple of my bones cracking which brought some relief.

"I am. Morning Ellie." I say with a yawn, checking the digital clock over top of my TV screen. It's only 8. Why am I up so early?

Oh, right.

"Mom says to get ready. She seems stressed, so— just put on what I have on. I'm gonna start making some pancakes for you."

She smiled, nodding to her own words as if she was judging how she used them. I sat up again and looked at her outfit. She had a dress that was attached to overalls, sleek black stockings, and a plain pink, long-sleeved v-necked shirt. Angrily, the hair in my face had been swiped away in frustration. Not something I'd personally wear, but to make my mother, Rosalina, angry this early in the morning wasn't really in my plans. With hesitance I slipped out of bed. My bare feet hit the carpet underneath, and soon, the cold marble. During the winter, the house was always extremely cold. The marble doesn't help in the slightest, and I've told my parents that.
That's the least of their worries, though.

Trudging to my closet I fumbled the door open. My eyes were still glued shut in exhaustion, but it'd be fixed by the shower later. College hasn't been treating me well in the sleep department. Thankfully winter break had just begun, so I can finally catch up on sleep instead of paperwork. You'd think that we'd be far more advanced in the education department- keep dreaming. We've been using pencils and paper since forever. Then again, it doesn't really bug me.

As the towel on my door was taken down and my clothes placed into my arms from the drawer, the tall door was once reopened and I went straight towards the bathroom. I locked the door and began to hurriedly take my clothes off. They went into the laundry chute above the trashcan and I into the shower. After a rinse, I declared myself finished and pressed the button on the screen to stop the water. 

My towel had come up warm and ready for usage, and I gratefully took it off of the hook that came up from the dryer. Once done drying myself off I tediously slipped on the slightly identical outfit Elizabeth had been wearing, only now the pink v-neck was a salmon turtleneck, and the overall dress was yellow. I looked into the mirror that was framed in gold. Usually my mother had me do my makeup, but I very much did not want to look appealing today. So, I'll stick to just mascara and blush. It didn't cover up my freckles but I'm sure she wouldn't mind a few blemishes. Maybe. I stuck my hair up in the two buns I always rocked, long, stray pieces of hair hanging from each side of my face and from the hairbands. My hair dries quickly, anyway.