Late Night Sparks

The December snow of the day started earlier for Henry as he sighed his way out through his extra shift. It was almost midnight when he was wiping off the tables, the room empty with only the chattering sound of crickets from outside. He could feel his energy for the day drain minute by minute. He had his college classes till three in the noon and was dashed to the cafe to cover for his friend, Robin's shift as they had plans with their partner. He have been serving beverages and sweets the whole afternoon and the weariness of the day began to hit him as he wiped each table. The sudden sound of the door bell made Henry flinch and stumble upon the table near by, the unbalance on his legs and the gravity having him on the ground in seconds. He shout out in pain and the stranger ran to his rescue.

"Are you alright?" The stranger offered their hand to Henry, who was seated on the cold floor, one hand on his back and the other supporting his body from falling back once again. Henry looked up to the said person, their brown hair was styled perfectly to a side and their chocolate brown eyes were looking at Henry with worry, a hand extended towards him. Henry took their hand, and they pulled him up, their other arm went around his waist to prevent him from falling yet again. 

Henry bowed his head and moved away from the stranger, "Thank you." The stranger smiled at him in return, the gesture wasn't reciprocated. Henry scratched his head, the embarrassment from before hitting him while the brunette was slightly tapping their feet as they looked around the cafe.

They both stood in silence for a good two minutes before Henry spoke, "If you didn't notice, the shop's closed." He pointed at the door, the 'close' symbol facing them.

The shop was open.

"It's actually open, if you didn't change the sign."

Henry sighed loudly, "Well I am telling you now, we are closed."

"Loving the service!"

"Anyone walking into the café after my work shift aren't my customers."

The stranger sighed, "Fine, I will leave, since you wouldn't serve me." The stranger made a sorrow face, his head down. He faced away from Henry and sniffed into the hood of his jacket. Henry figuring out that the person was not gonna walk away anytime soon, threw his wiping cloth on the table and walked to the back of the counter.

Henry called out, "What do you want?"

"It's alright, I don't wanna disturb you and your life. I am just a hurdle to everyone. No wonder my girlfriend just dumped me." The stranger still held his head low, sniffing in between.

Henry feeling a bit grateful for the stranger's help earlier and decided to forget that the reason that he needed the help was from the helper, "Decaf or milk?" He moved towards the coffee machine, where he saved himself some decaf for after.

"Milk with two scoops of cream, please." The stranger smiled brightly at him, and Henry couldn't help but pull off a face which meant 'are-you-fucking-kidding-me'.

Henry poured half of the remaining decaf in one cup while saved the rest for him. He filled the rest of the cup with milk and added only one scoop of cream. The stranger frowned, "I think I said two."

"I am pretty sure I will add only one, irrespective of your order." The stranger frowned but didn't comment. Henry passed the cup to them and seated himself at the bar stool behind the counter. The brunette sat before him and smiled at him, Henry feeling as awkward as before pressed his lips tight, the grin widened.

"Ollie." The brunnette stuck his hand out.

Henry was too comforted by the warmth of the now hot decaf, to move his hand away. "Henry, he/him."