prologue

The Fawley house sat on the edge of the street, almost as though it was a world away from the British small-town suburbia of where they lived. The slowly setting sun reflected in the big bay windows, casting soft shadows on front porches and behind hedges. Quiet streets made for a peaceful neighbourhood, perfect gardens for just as perfect residents. That was, until a figure emerged under the dim streetlight outside, cutting through the evening light like a knife, severing the light and the dark.

Amity warily watched the figure approach the house out of her parents' bedroom window, and tiptoed across the carpet to the landing, only to hear her mother's curt voice.

"I'm sorry, Cymbeline is too ill to have visitors."

As she heard the click of the front door being locked, Amity glanced into her sister's room, where Cymbeline was sat on the window seat, hugging a small periwinkle cushion to her chest. Warm rays of fading summer sun shifted through the window panes, moving across Cymbeline's face as though they were clouds across the sky. Cymbeline's expression was not so warm; her dark eyes were wide and glassy, almost as dark as the circles beneath them. Taking a seat next to her sister, Amity tried not to feel hurt as Cymbeline quickly looked away, dirty blonde hair falling over her face. She wasn't sure she'd ever seen anyone look less alive, less themselves. Amity thought that her sister was comparable to the Grey Lady; regal and beautiful, but pale and close to (or passing) death. It was as though Cymbeline was not from the land of the living at all.

"Cymbeline, you have to talk to us. Please." Cymbeline turned to look at her, but Amity couldn't find her in the eyes that stared into her own. "Please talk to me."

The older girl pulled her knees up to her chest even tighter, turning in towards the window.

"You won't feel better unless you talk," Amity pushed.

"Sister, dear," Cymbeline sighed, "isn't that why all of this happened in the first place?"