dil ki baat

Abhimanyu stared at Akshara in the hopes she would speak up but she didn't. She kept her head hung low in the effort to hide her watery eyes and bit down on her bottom lip presumably to stop herself from bursting out.

"Akshara, please kuch bolo." He didn't know how much harder he had to press the matter. Surely, she understood the gravity of the situation and how important it was for her to confess.

She squeezed her eyes tightly and took a deep, shaky breath. Abhimanyu released her hand. A tight knot twisted in his chest as he took a step back. His heart demanded for him to go back to her and extract an answer out of her no matter how painful it might be. But his mind recollected the sheer agony he had gone through when he saw Akshara have her panic attack. The thought that he would be the reason for another impending episode made him crumble inwards like ash.

Clasping his hand around her bracelet, he vowed to return when matters had the chance to cool down. He doubted he would be allowed entry into the Goenka house anytime soon, but surely he can arrange a meeting with her somewhere outside. Anyways, it would be best if they talked without so many nosy bodies around.

Abhimanyu had turned to leave when he felt a soft hand curl around his wrist. His heart beat wildly out of control. He spun around and stared into the eyes of his beloved, awaiting the moment when she would reciprocate his love.

___________________________________

Akshara tightened the pads of her fingers around Abhimanyu's wrist. Though the rhythm of his pulse was erratic, it was perfectly in sync with her own wildly beating heart. She squeezed him again to steady herself.

Not for the first time that night, Akshara was left amazed by how steadfast Abhimanyu stood before her. Not once did his voice waver whilst declaring his love for her. Not once did he falter from his conviction in making sure that all the misunderstandings were removed from the minds of both the families. Every single word he uttered was crystal clear and it made Akshara all the more confident in the perception she had of him. All the signs she had read from him were true. She wasn't making things up and he really, truly did love her. If only she had known the extent of his feelings prior to today. This whole mess could have been avoided.

"Tum meri dil ki baat jaana chahte ho na?"

Abhimanyu nodded.

Akshara closed her eyes and took a deep breath to prepare herself for what she was about to say. She just hoped no one would interrupt her until she finished.

"Aaj jo bhi hua, galat hua. Jitni saari confusions hui, nahi honi chahiye thi. Aur inn saari misunderstandings ke zimedaar sirf ek insaan nahi hai." Turning around, she looked at her grand-uncle and grandfather. "Galti aap dono ki hai jo mere mana karne ke bawajood aap ne mere rishte ki baat ki. Agar kissi aur cheez ki na sahi at least iss baat ki toh kadar kar lete ki mein filhaal shaadi ke liye tayar nahi hoon. Mimi, Badi Maa, galti aap dono ki bhi hai ki rishte ki baat karte waqt aap ne ek baar bhi mera naam nahi liya." Her voice strained as she witnessed guilt wash over the two women.

Akshara squeezed Abhimanyu's hand for further strength. Being reminded of how her mother's name hadn't been uttered by the Goenkas for nearly the first ten years of her life made her go cold. It wasn't the first time that this thought had crossed her mind. But unlike all the previous times, Akshara didn't have the luxury of allowing herself to venture down the dark path she inevitably always found herself traversing. Gulping, she allowed the warmth emanating from Abhimanyu to anchor her to the present. She needed to focus on preserving the relationships that were crumbling before her right now. She could lament the loss of her mother later when she was alone.

Sniffling, Akshara directed her attention towards the Birlas. "I know ki aap sab surgeons hai aur bahut busy rehte hai par jab rishte ki baat chal rahi thi, aap sab ko apne schedule se at least thoda sa waqt toh nikaal lena chahiye tha. Abhimanyu sirf Auntyji ka beta nahi hai, aap sab ka bhi kuch lagta hai."