August Slipped Away

There was a time I wished the summer nights were longer. It all started in midnight sneak-outs, long road trips 'till dawn, and sitting in our favorite diners.

We were on to shenanigans. Sometimes, we rang others' doorbells and ran as fast as we could. We gulped beers and sodas and munched on Doritos. We ordered weird menus on drive-through stalls. My most favorite part — when we went to the woods and watched the fireflies from the inside of my car.

When the was sun on its verge to peek, we would rush and go home.

But whenever we passed by in the hallways, we act like we never met.

Of course, we would have to put up with an act, especially if we would pass each other with someone's fingers draped in our hands. hated every time our eyes met because it would always tell our longing.

I kiss my boyfriend's cheeks when I fought the urge to run and kiss your lips. You hold your girlfriend's hands and God knows how hard I clenched my teeth because I was hoping it could be me.

The surge of guilt springs every time I sleep with my lover because I found his body convenient when I think of you.

"I don't really know what we are, and what we have right now, but I like it," you said, as your eyes intently pierced right through me.

"I like it, and I like you. this is wrong but I like it." You sighed deeply, and I knew it was a red flag."I wish I could hold your hand and tell the world you were my girl," your eyes twitched, and my heart ached when your eyes glistened.

"so, this is it then?" Deep down, I wish you'd refuse. But of course, you didn't.

"I guess it is," a tear dropped from your eye. I reached my hand and tried to wipe it. you held my hand instead and gently cupped it with your face, "sing me a song, for the last time, please?"

"But I can see us lost in the memory," I hummed, "August slipped away into a moment in time," I choked as tears pooled my eyes. I can't do this anymore.

"I loved you too much." I whispered. "So this is our last sunrise, then?"

"You are always my favorite summer getaway." He uttered under his breath.

"And you are too, my favorite escape. But you were never mine, and I was never yours."

We watched the sunrise together, as I lay my head on your shoulders. For the first time, it was morning. I held you when there was a sun, maybe because the moon have been so tired watching us.

I was only made to listen to your 3 AM thoughts. I was only there for you in midnights, when the sun was still hiding and can't get a glimpse of you. I was there when the moon shines on your face. and that is where we are, in the middle of hiding, where the world's asleep, and where the sun doesn't shine. And even when I only get to hold you in midnights, you are still my sunshine.

How could the summer of August be this sad. My summer sun is gone...

August slipped away into a moment in time
'Cause it was never mine..

I met you and you were perfect, but it was late.