Diya

"So you mean more ten thousand rupees and I will get my eyes? "
       An excited Raktim jumped of the bed.
"Yeah,but ten thousand is no joke.I will need time to gain this hefty amount bhaiya."
       Raima gave a tensed look.The glow in Raktim's face disappeared.He sat pale on his bed.
"It's okay,i have a plan.Diwali is round the corner.I'll sell diyas.Last year I managed some money from festivals by cleaning houses but this time,I will sell diyas.A month is left for the big festival.Let me start making from now,I will make many by Diwali."
       Raima came out with a weird yet seemingly the only option they had.
"What!My sister!My li'llsister will make diyas for my eyes!No!No Raima don't make diyas.No need for money,no need for eyes.As if this world has nothing good to show me than all the transgressions,corruptions and atrocity .Its okay,I will see no light,light isn't necessary for me.You are necessary for me.I can't trade you for my eyes Rai"
       Raima hugged his bhaiya.
"Bhaiya,this world might not have anything good to show you but believe me light is exquisite.Light is gorgeous.If I can get money then maybe this Diwali you can see the beauty of light.Maybe you will sparkle with light.  That's all I want.Don't you remember what uncle would say,if we are busy finding flaws in everything we won't be able to taste the sweetness of it."
         And thus,Raima started working hard to gain money.She spent sleepless nights baking diyas and selling them in corners of the city.She earned around forty rupees to hundred rupees per day.
     Raima was an eleven year old Bengali girl and Raktim her elder brother of sixteen.They both had lost their parents in a massive flood seven years back after which they started staying alone.Raktim was born blind.And the only purpose of Raima's life was to give him the vision of light-to see him sparkle like the diyas of Diwali.Their parents had left some money for Raktim's eye treatment and with the help of some private donation camps,she got some more money.But she was ten thousand rupees short.A couple of years back a broker had brought them to Jaisalmer to provide them with some job.Raima worked day and night to acquire a livelihood.
           And within a couple of weeks passing,the seemingly Golden fort yet thrown as a mirage amongst the restless sands-Jaisalmer started lighting up.The golden city started shimmering in earthen lamps,lights.Amidst all brightness,a little boy in a little corner knew his dream of seeing the light  for the first time was coming true soon.Raima took Raktim to the City hospital for a two hours artificial cornea transplant.An anxious Raima outside the operation theatre was informed,
"The operation is successful .Your brother will be able to see tomorrow.But remember not much light must enter his eyes for a few months." 
           The following day,Raima entered a room where Raktim was made to sit,his eyes bandaged.A doctor came and slowly opened the bandage.And for the first time,lights entered Raktim's eye as he saw his sister for the first time.The siblings couldn't control their excitement and ecstasy.
            A couple of weeks later,Raktim and Raima took a tour around Jaisalmer.The huge yellow sandstone,the intricate carvings in the walls of temples, inclusions of amorous posture, mandaps carved with yakshas,yakshasinis and other lesser divinities, splendorous havelis, pagodas, colourful kathputlis-brought to life by dexterous fingers,displayed beautifully along the roads, the camels and ofcourse the dunes carved restlessly by impatient winds with restless grains captured Raktim's eye,making him amazed, simply speechless.
"The world-the world is just-just so beautiful.Oh my goodness!the colours!The world is so beautiful!" 
Raktim stammered.
"See,I told you,the world is beautiful.Its just some people who makes it dirty." 
Raima and Raktim sat in the desert looking at the lights and crackers from a distance.
"So bhaiya,you have seen so much.Which one was your favorite?"
"Well,I am astonished by the beauty.The sands too are so beautiful.But my favourite was light-my light,and that's you.You are my light and you are the most  beautiful thing I have ever seen.You are like the moon that shines in the dark night spreading so much brightness." 
And as they hugged each other,
brightness surrounded them.The sky dazzled in beautiful crackers and so did the siblings with their love.
Indeed it was the best Diwali for both of them.
              Anupurba saha