Island Deep Book 3 - Moonah Demon

ISLAND DEEP

A Novella by Heather Hammonds

Book Three

Moonah Demon

Synopsis

Something ancient and powerful lies beneath the surface of an idyllic and much-loved holiday island off the southern coast of Australia. A supernatural force to be reckoned with.

The third in the series of four Island Deep novellas sees Leandra and Chris dig deeper into the supernatural mystery surrounding their island home, with frightening results. Dianella Furloghty returns to help them as more lives are lost and their own safety is threatened by the mastermind behind the island's secretive group. They also find themselves confronted by a kind of evil that is unlike anything they've faced before. An evil that has the potential to destroy the Island Deep, while it devours the souls of its victims.

Island Deep

Book 3, Moonah Demon

Concept and story copyright ©2021 Heather Hammonds

All Rights Reserved. This work is protected by Australian and International Copyright Laws. No part of this Work may be reproduced or transmitted by any means without prior written permission from the copyright holder.

*Note: This story and all names, characters, incidents and events in it are completely fictitious. No identification or connection with actual persons (living or dead), or any events, buildings or anything else is intended. Nor should any be inferred under any circumstances. This is a work of fiction, folks, and is intended for entertainment purposes only!

With special thanks to Serra Clisby at Adventure Island – Phillip Island Photography for the amazing cover artwork.

                                *******************************************************************

Chapter One

Cara Molloy drew in a deep breath of fresh air as she jogged along an isolated path through the sandhills, behind her favourite beach in Ventnor. Though she was surrounded by ancient Moonah trees and other coastal bush, an evening breeze brought the pungent smell of seaweed up from the water's edge, making her smile. Her smile grew wider as her little dog, Freddie, ran past her along the winding path. He barked excitedly, jumping over gnarled tree roots and low hanging branches that almost touched the ground.

'Slow down, Freddie!' she called, guessing he was on the trail of a rabbit.

She knew that Freddie really should be on his lead but she indulged him, letting him run free. Small as he was, she felt he did no harm to the swamp wallabies that made the sandhills their home, and they rarely saw anyone else. Most people preferred to walk along the picturesque beach.

Cara stopped for a rest and sat down on a boulder, staring out at the bay through a gap in the trees. Freddie came back and sat beside her, panting. She idly played with his ears, watching the bright evening sun paint the sky with reds and oranges as it sank lower towards the horizon. The waters of the bay changed colour too, slowly fading from bright blue to grey. The day had been busy, but happy. The car repair shop she operated since moving back to the island twelve months earlier was thriving. People remembered her father, who'd also been a mechanic and owned the business before her, so they gave her a try with their vehicles. They found she was damned good at her job.

'Never thought anyone'd be as clever at fixing the old smoke-blower as your dad, but you are, girl,' one of her father's loyal customers had told her a few weeks ago.