Prologue

Talk of the portrait.
1763.

There was talk of a new portrait to bestow upon Claude Sinclair National Art Museum. No one knew the name of the author nor where the portrait came from but that it was hauntingly beautiful.

There was a huge crowd that awaited in the lobby of the museum, much talk of who was to lay eyes on it first. People waited in town for days, paid money to the highest bidders for even a photo of what could lie behind the curtain. It didn't make much sense to anyone other than everyone had to have their eyes upon it.

The crowd had staggered out of the way as movers came and proceeded with caution into the museum. People barricaded after them and scrambled trying to catch even the faintest glimpse of the portrait.

Who was the man in the portrait? Who created this piece of art? Why was it coming to this museum?

These questions happened the linger in the minds of the towns people of Devlin. Sat 30 miles East on the outskirts of Vienna.

The men came and mounted the portrait on the wall in the span of 45 minutes to the beat. They wiped the sweat from their eyes and surveyed the crowd behind them. No one could imagine or fathom the velocity of the room. The portrait had yet to be revealed.

There hung the blue velvet blanket that hung over the fated portrait. Minds drawing circles as to what could happen next. The mayor of the town, Paul Edgar, came before the townspeople and spoke about the portrait and when it's true reveal would be. He spoke about the rich history of the painting, the acrylic paint, and where it was created. Little was known about the person who created the painting but that did not stop eager beings from wanting to explore more.

Hearts were in dismay upon hearing from Mayor Edgar that the portrait would not be available to view until next week. An array of boos and dissatisfaction left the crowd as the mayor frowned upon them. He reassured the crowd that everyone would get their turn and this eased the minds of the townsfolk a little.

It began to poor that day and every other day as it was prone to happening in Devlin. It was a polite city with bustling businesses surrounding the town. Everyone was well respected and knew everyone. That often opened the door for gossip and rattlers around the town.

In any case, Devlin was well-respected and with talk of an infamous painting in town, what more could a town have to offer.

As the museum began to close for another day, the eyes of many lingered still outside until there was no one. Many people of the town began to depart for home as the keys had locked shut of Claude Eloise behind them.

There was no one around them now. The museum sat still and for a moment you could hear nothing. People had drawn their curtains and went to bed awaiting the day to feast their eyes in this painting.

What did it smell like? What was the color pattern? What was the texture?

These questions filled the minds of towns folk of Devlin till it drew them to sleep. A deep slumber fell onto the town.

But alas, how could they not hear the cries of the sounds trapped inside of a painting unbeknownst to them? The souls has shrilled and screeched forever. For a moment, you could see the man in the portrait smirk as the souls he had captured could never be released. Sealing their fate forever.

No one in the town would ever be prepared for what was to come to this dreadful gift inside of Claude.