Chapter 1: Only A Beginning

"And... Goal!!! Invincible United scores another goal, and Supa Strikas are left with three-nil. On their home field, at that!" Brenda shouted.

A Soccer Leaguer whose helmet has a 'hair' extension and wearing the captain band sighed. No matter how many times they lost, it is always disheartening whenever it happens. And this time, it is no different.

At the locker room, Coach is looking at his players who are looking down. Cool Joe, a Disco Leaguer, looks at Coach, "Coach, tell me. Why are we still playing?"

"Ja, we lost so many times... I bet the human players of Supa Strikas would be very disappointed in us." Say, Klaus, a Soccer Leaguer, as he takes a sip off his oil.

Rasta enters the locker room and looks at his teammates, "Listen, I know we've lost a lot of times, but to bring back proper sportsmanship to the Super League, we can't give up. Or else future players will suffer the same treatment as we did on the field."

Big Bo, El Matador and Blok, who are having down on the maintenance table, are proof of Rasta's statement. During the match, they were damaged from the rough play from the Invincible United player's rough play. The latter two are offlined the moment they entered the locker room.

Big Bo, the goalkeeper nodded, "I know... But still, there's no way a team made of mixed types of Iron Leaguers can beat a team made out of purely Soccer Leaguers. Uh... No offence."

Coach sighed and sat down on the bench. He can't argue with Big Bo. He's right. Due to limited funding, only Big Bo, Dancing Rasta and Klaus are Leaguers made specifically for soccer.

Twisting Tiger is a Kendo Leaguer, Cool Joe's a Disco Leaguer, North Shaw a Surfing Leaguer, El Matador a Matador Leaguer, it's in his name, and Blok's a Hockey Leaguer.

"We have a match against Colossus next week. Prof, do you think you can fix the three of them in time?"

The Professor looks at the screen showing Big Bo's internal systems, "I can... But I'm afraid that El Matador's damages are too extensive. It'll take more than a week to fix him."

Two seconds after the words left Prof's lips, the Matador Leaguer woke up, "What!? But I need to play!"

"I'm afraid that we'll need to play with one player short next week." Say, Prof.

"Listen to what Professor said, El Matador." Coach sighed and headed to the door, but was stopped by Prof.

"Oh, yeah. Can you buy some spare parts for me?"

"Sure thing. Dancing Rasta?"

"On it, Coach." He takes the list and went out of the door.

El Matador groaned, "Ugh... I feel horrible. And I can't believe the goalkeeper of all players is the one that knocked me out."

Xxx

A few hours later, Coach and Rasta had finally bought all the spare parts requested by Prof. They are in an empty park, Coach eating some sandwiches while Rasta is refuelling himself with oil.

"If only we have another Leaguer... Then everything will be taken care of." Rasta uttered.

"Yes. But if we tried to order another Leaguer, we wouldn't be able to buy oil and spare parts." Say, Coach. He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, "If only we have some miracle..."

Tap, tap, tap...

Coach opened his eyes and saw a soccer ball near his feet. But it wasn't a normal soccer ball. It was one specifically made for an Iron Leaguer.

Coach picked up the ball and fixed his sunglasses, "An Iron Leaguer ball? Huh, it looks quite worn down."

"Ah, excuse me..."

The two raised their heads and saw an Iron Leaguer standing in front of them. He is primarily black, with olive green legs. He also has a small bag with him.

"Oh, is this yours?"

"Yeah... Thanks. Wait... Aren't you Supa Strikas' Coach and Captain?"

"Yeah, that's us, man."

The Leaguer took the soccer ball and looks at them, red eyes analyzing them, "What are you two doing here?"

"Just picking up some spare parts," Rasta explained.

"Oh yeah... The match with Invincible United is... Pretty brutal, I must say."

Coach nodded, "And next week, we need to play against Colossus. With one player short."

The Leaguer was quiet. He seems to think what to say before smiling, "... Can I join?"

Coach and Rasta were surprised, "You sure? The Colossus isn't above foul play either."

"I'm a Soccer Leaguer, Variable Position, to be exact. I can handle that. Plus, I always wanted to join Supa Strikas."

"And why is that?" Coach asked.

"... Let's just say I promised someone. Plus, you guys never harm other players no matter how damaged you are."

Rasta smiled, "Alright, then. You can come to Strika Land tomorrow... Uh, your name is..."

"Shakes. Just call me Shakes."