Worlds Do Collide

The sky is purple when you dream. When you look up and you see the planets converging, the clouds coming in, and the stars shining brighter than before, you realize that it is time to go. 

That's what I learned when I met her. Because it was late at night I couldn't tell that our future was going to be something wild, something special, something life-changing. I had moved to my new suite- courtesy of my wildly rich family and was getting settled for the night, looking out the window at the city lights as the night awoke in sound and color. I settled in and turned on the news. 

The news anchor spoke in a classic serious voice "Tensions rise in our area as the robberies continue to rise in number. There have been numerous reports of a slender figure dressed in all black breaking into multiple valuable areas and stealing more and more. Many people have been discussing the occurrence online and dubbing this figure the "Cat Burglar". As far as we can tell, the person is about 5'2" in height, and looks to weigh very lightly. We suggest if you own any highly valuable items that you take extra precautions in securing your residence. Lock all doors and windows and install an automatic  alarm system." 

There was an ad break and I got up to go on my balcony. The wind was blowing warmly as if a rainstorm was coming in soon. I breathed in the night air, a mixture of city life and open sky. I turned back into my room and poured myself a drink. Sighing, I returned to my bed and set the cup on the bedside table, ready to go to sleep. 

I had drifted off neglecting to turn off the television, so when I woke up hearing a crashing sound I assumed that it was a program playing on the TV. I turned off the TV and became suspicious when I heard a squeak of a door, followed by rushed footsteps and a "whoosh" coming by my bed. I sat up and looked around, turning on a dim lamp to see my surroundings just in time to see a small figure in all black jump off the balcony and fade into the city life of the night. I got up and checked around my room, some things were missing. Most of my portable electronics to start, and smaller pieces of jewelry I got from my mom a few years back. I called the police to make a report, knowing it wouldn't be too helpful to catch the Cat Burglar. I filed my report and was finally able to go back to bed.

Waking up the next morning brought much more than a surprise. 

Sitting in my recliner, staring at me as I slept, was a person dressed in black. Slight build, and not that tall. A female. 

"You called the police last night."

That was a strange opening line. "Obviously, you stole from me. Valuables no less." 

"I was doing you a favor. You didn't need those useless electronics."

"And why would that be? I don't see what wrong they were doing for anyone."

"I need money more than you."

"That's not an answer to my question."

"I don't owe you an answer."

"Then get out of my house and I won't get you arrested."

"I think you're more interesting than you let on."

What was that supposed to mean? I wasn't sure I wanted to find out. "And by that you mean...?"

"Come with me." She grabbed my hand and led me to the balcony "follow my lead, don't let go of my hand."

"huh?" was all I could say before she leaped off the balcony, pulling me along with her. It was exhilarating and terrifying, this lady was insane. She was still guiding me and grabbing to do parkour with the other hand, incredibly strong. Finally, we were able to stop and ended at an abandoned building. She led me to an area covered by blankets as curtains which created a makeshift living space that housed tons of stolen valuables.

"You're different. I can tell." 

"And what is that supposed to mean? You're a criminal. I should report you and have you arrested."

"Don't be silly. You wouldn't do that. I know because we've met before, we switched roles. Can you believe it? So strange isn't it, how the tides turn in such a way as this."

What in the world could she have been talking about? She took off the mask covering her face. I certainly did know her before. A long time ago when I was still struggling and her family had the high life instead. 

"Hello Robert," she said smiling "long time no see, hm?"

I was pretty stunned, to say the least. Seeing her face for the first time since forever ago was certainly a shock, it was as if she hadn't aged a day since we broke up. "Hello, Caroline. Long time no see indeed."